Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulling tranny and need to keep things from spinning

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74kay5, Mar 31, 2006.

1. 74kay5

74kay5 1/2 ton status

Anybody know any tricks if your pulling a transmission by yourself to keep everything spinning when loosening or tightening the flexplate to torque converter bolts? I tried putting a large socket and wrench on the front balancer bolt on the front of the crank and a large breaker bar but it just slips off with every try I make. I know there's a tool that has teeth and holds the flex plate at the bottom by the teeth but again, you need 2 people.

2. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

if you need help holding the crank, i live in sj and can help. Otherwise, i use a skrewdriver and put it inbetween the engine oil pan and a random hole in the flexplate then turn until it stays there.

3. 74kay5

74kay5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the offer, but I moved to the north bay. I never thought of that, I'll try it, thanks.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the easiest way i have found, turn the flexplate so the bolt is close to the bottom. put the wrench on it so that is sticks to the left of the truck, then yank straight down. it puts more force on the bolt and is harder to turn the motor over.

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

That method works. If it's still too tight (it shouldn't be) use a combination of that and onetonbb74's method. I would put the screwdriver on the ring gear and brace it against the bellhousing, though.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've used the "try to jam a screwdriver in there" method in the past. I finally broke down and spent the $10 for the correct tool for holding the flywheel/flexplate in place. It makes those jobs SO much easier. It was well worth the money. :cool1:

7. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Allways worked for me.

8. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

not part of the question, but when installing or pulling tranny and t-case combo by yourself, a tranny jack is very very nice to have a round. i stuck it under the furniture dolly i was wheeling the tranny/t-case on and just jacked up the whole thing, made life much easier, and safer too. Almost killed myself taking it down before I got the tranny jack...

9. 74kay5

74kay5 1/2 ton status

where did you get it? I asked around my local shops and they are so retarded they don't even know what I'm talking about. They just give me that look of bewilderment when I start talking about pulling a transmission.

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

11. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I must be confused. My torque converter bolts have nuts on the back. 2 9/16 wrenches is all I need. Does your torque converter have threads in it?

12. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

th350s and most th400s have a tab that uses a bolt and a nut, the 700r4s and a few th400 converters have a threaded part welded to the converter, no nut.

13. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

impact it off.. i just took my 9/16th closed box and put it over the bolt.. then just hammered on the wrench... this way it loosens the bolt w/ out having the whole thing spin.. worked great for me.

14. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

i always use a BF flathead screwdriver or a tire iron,

but thats rare nowadays since i have one of thos enice flywheel teeth grabber handle tools exact same as the northern tool one, ours is red handled we got it from parts plus auto parts store years before they shut their doors here

we use it all the time sometimes as much as everyday

good luck

15. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

Ive never had this problen on a TH350 or 400. I just put on a heavy glove on on hand to hold the ring gear with and with a wrench in the other hand, yank that bolt loose. :D

16. 74kay5

74kay5 1/2 ton status

just ordered it from northern tool, at 7.99 I couldn't afford to not buy it. I'll just wait until it comes in to pull the tranny. It's been raining non-stop for weeks anyway.