Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pulling transfer case...ideas?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by biobry, Mar 24, 2004.

1. biobry

biobry Registered Member

I would love to hear any ideas re: swapping an NP203 that does not involve manhandling it. I am considering buying a transmission jack adapter, anyone use any of these with success? Are there any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Unbolt the tranny tunnel and use an engine hoist through the passenger door. Rig it up and lower it down.

Rene

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well I have a new favorite tool in my garage...it is an old gas-charged desk chair that I removed the back from...I simply compress it, roll it under the truck, pull the lever and let eh seat cushion go op to the t-case unbolt the 8 bolts holding my 205 to the adapter, pul it back and when you pull the lever with the weight of the 205 on there, it will lower /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifI have had over 400lbs on it before..works great

A tranny jack is good to but that cost $$$ that I would rather spend on other things like beer and parts for my D60

Chris

4. biobry

biobry Registered Member

Hmmm, that sounds like an interesting idea...any more?

5. biobry

biobry Registered Member

Well, Chris...I really don't mind spending $$$ on tools...I've bought an engine hoist, engine stand, welder, 3 ton floor jack, and quite a few other "toys" as my wife calls them in the last few months to support this project. So a tranny jack adapter isn't a stretch for me unless there is a better way...(kinda like the chain hoist through the hump idea)

Thanks for the replies!

Bryan

6. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i have used the transmishion jack adapter thing and it made the job much easier.you just have to have a jack that lifts that high and a good concrete serface to roll the jack back away from the tranny then drop it down. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

My mom actaully got me a motorcycle jack for my V Star this Xmas. It worked great for putting in my 205. I didn't think of using it for putting in the range box of my 203 because my neighbor was standing around doing nothing so I reqruited him. I've also used it for putting in my D60. It has a nice wide stance, a low profile, and a nice wide platform. I had to use 2 4x4 blocks and a 40mm ammo can to get extra height because I have 6" suspension and 42" tires but it worked great. Best of all it was free.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I wish I had nice neighboors /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif