Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pulls to the right BAD!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nate87k5, Sep 7, 2000.

1. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

Ok, I am to that point. I can no long ignore the hard pulling my truck is doing. I need help. The only thing that I have done was take it to one of these Brake and Alignment chain shops and they said that the alignment was fine(of course they could be wrong). If the alignment is straight what else could cause the truck to pull so hard to the right. I have a 4" rancho lift with higher steering arm. Stabilzer bar looks straight. I was thinking it may be a tie rod end but not sure on how to check them on the drag link or bar. Was thinking it could be a cracked frame at the steering box but I havnt been able to find any. I have heard that ball joints could cause a problem but I have no idea on how to check them and the wheel has no in or out play in them. So not sure what to do? I really dont want to take it to a shop just yet but getting to that point. Help. Also does anyone know how to get the steering wheel to have a tighter feel without so much play. Thanks for any help.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Does it do this just going down the road or when you hit the brakes? Do you smell that burning brake smell? Maybe one of your calipers froze.

Tyr jacking up the front end and moving the tire. Grab on top and the bottom and see if it moves at all and do this front and rear too. ANy movements?

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. Nate87k5

It does it just driving down the road. No brake sell. Doesnt pull harder when I brake or come to a stop. Just the same pull as driving down the road.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If the alignment place checked out the whole front, maybe your rear end is outta whack. Measure on each side from the front lockout center to the rear center and see if the measurements are the same. The should both be 106.5"...

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Just a thought, but check the three knuckles on top of your steering block for the steering arm..... I had one break off once and it would barely stay straight down the road. When I finally got it home another had snapped off and was conected only by the center one ! If that would have sheared off too I would have been at the mercy of wherever the truck wanted to go. It could have been very dangerous ! It might be worth a look, if anything you'll check them to see if they're o.k.

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

7. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

Hey, your truck is a Republican!
    seriously, yu might have a wheel bearing that has "welded itself together". I would jack the entire front end up, place the axle on jackstands, spin the wheels, grab each wheel at the top and bottom and shake... if they move freely in this direction that'll tell you that your ball joints are bad, then grab the front and back of each tire and slowly move the tire from right to left and back, watch your tie rod ends and see if they stay put while the wheel moves if so this is bad.
    Also check your shocks and shock mounts this is a long shot but worth checking anyway.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a friction problem, brakes, caliper, all of the stuff mentioned above. You could also have a seperated tire. A quick rotation front to back would help determine that. Anyway its one less thing to look at in the long run.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

9. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Nate...listen to me please. Since the problem is while driving and not braking the first thing i need you to do is swap your front tires from side to side...if the problem moves to the opposite side then you have seperated tire...if it stays on that side then we need to check the wheel bearing settings. I finally got m-f at the shop plus a fat raise...so if you do not have tools at home to swap the tires get ahold of me saturday and bring the truck over to my house and we'll find out whats up...i've got air and a jack.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

10. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

Turn the steering wheel back to the left real hard.

11. Nate87k5

Damn David, I never thought of that. I'll try it on the way home tonight. Thanks Buddie. Always count on you for the right answer.

12. realsquash

All I can say is that the wheel bearings on the right side-front are prolly bad. The right-front on mine decided last night to let me know that they were bad, so I hit the ditch and narrowly missed a bunch of trees, but I flew about 15' in the air (sideways) and finally landed on grass with a few f****d up frame, rear bumper, and oh yeah, right front wheel bearings. The impact was so great that 2 cab bolts and washers pulled through new rubber mounts, without breaking the rubber.

p.s. wear your damned seatbelt!

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

13. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Ouch.
    That hurts to think about.
    -- Mike

14. azgmc

azgmc Registered Member

Had the same prob with my '89 Jimmy.

It was the front brake lines for me!! Fixed 90% of the problem.

I tried ball joints, bearings, alignment, tires, shocks...didnt replace all of those with the intention of fixing the pull but they didnt change anything.

15. JF 89K5

JF 89K5 Registered Member

OK not to be a smart a$$ but do you have a tire going flat? Or low air in one side? Just a thought, I've had it happen before.

JF

16. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

Did it work? Let me know if we are wheelin on Saturaday night. RAW DEAL is calling us.

17. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

AZGMC might have a good point, I just did the same thing on my 65 Impala SS, it pulled real hard to the right. I replaced everything up front on the brakes, then I did the brake hoses and now it stops straight as an arrow. The one on the right was old and it looked o.k. from the outside but inside it was collapsing. It would be an inexpensive fix, even if it wasn't it, you'd have new ones.

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

18. realsquash

This was the ultimate flex-test, and the frame failed the test. 60mph to 0mph in oh, 1.5 seconds. About 50 feet. I'll have to post a pic, but this is a K5 board and i wouldn't want to ruffle any more feathers that normal :)

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

19. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

So you are for the moment truckless?
    Did the body KO too?
    Can the frame be fixed or are you going to swap all your stuff over to a new truck?
    -- Mike

20. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple>I would check the wheel bearings, as well. Also, are your tires in balance? My aunts car was pulling real bad awhile back, so she took it to a shop, and it turned out to be the wheel bearings (I told her). But out of balance tires can cause the same problem. - Steve :)</font color=purple>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html