Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pump timing issues

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by tRustyK5, Sep 30, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have my pump timed a little too advanced I think. It sounds like a friggin Cummins, kind of annoying really. Any harm running this way or should I back it off a little?

Also it's a bit of a bear to start since i got it back going again. I'm gonna check the Racor for a little trapped air but other than that I can't think why it would be harder than normal to start. The GP's are manual control now and they're 60G AC's so they couldn't possibly be burned out...

I do get the occasional surge while driving. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif That's usually caused by a bit of air isn't it? I don't have any visible leaks anywhere...

Any thoughts?

Rene

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Line the marks up and leave it be. You got a J code engine which already makes decent power for a 6.2, no reason to jeopardize your engine to get a few more hp by advancing the timing. If you really need more hp out of a 6.2, a turbo is really the only way you can do it, but leave pump timing alone IMHO.

3. tRustyK5

Thanks Tyler. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The only reason I had it advanced was to compensate for possible timing chain stretch and to help with emissions. I do think it's too far past the mark to be healthy though.

I'll move it back most of the way, see how it does 1/32" past the mark. It's currently 1/8" past. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

4. BlueBlazer

Sounds good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tRustyK5

Actually runs nicer and starts easier now...1/32" past the mark. I guess my timing chain isn't that sloppy. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

6. BlueBlazer

Cool deal man, should help your motor last a lot longer now too. Have fun in Moab.