Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pumped beyond belief! TPI motor ready to start tonite.........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Oct 23, 2000.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Finally, after nursing a rod knock for 8 months, then waiting over 2 months since I dropped the truck off at my engine builder's, IT IS READY. We installed it on Saturday afternoon, he spent Sunday doing the detail work and it is ready to fire off tonight. 406 SB with LT-1 heads, hot cam and the chip to match it, Hedman headers, yadda, yadda, should be fun! Had to tell someone! Who better than you guys? You can see the picture of it on its' engine stand and after we dropped it in the truck on my website - click below and click on the "TPI 406" page.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Great looking motor, I hope she runs good for you. Maybe when I switch jobs here in a couple of months I will have the time to start working on my Blazer and get it running, as I will have Saturdays and Sundays off again finally. Oops, I guess not, it will be the middle of December and the Blazer is outside, but heck around here in Texas it doesn't stay too cold too long. Good luck with your motor, and make sure you break her in properly, don't want to have to wait another 2 months. LOL - Steve :)</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. mybeast

mybeast Registered Member

great looking motor. I'm getting ready to have a 406 built for my baby, but it will be carb. (California smog laws suck!!). Did you dyno her? What kind of numbers is she putting out.

When all else fails MASH the skinny pedal!

4. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

I'm all for blazers but that camaro is a work of art. 396 with a 4 speed you must have had stock in a tire company huh? Nice motor too..

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Didn't dyno her, but the engine builder guesstimated conservative 400 HP and 450 lb/ft torque. He has these motors (TPI topped 350's or 400's) in 4 of his vehicles, including his wife's sweet Jaguar XJ convertible, as well as a '53 Chevy.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

6. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

That is a great looking engine. I bet it will put out plenty o horses! Man it looks like it has a lot of wires though, does it have more sensor than a TBI? It has wires going to every injector right?
    I am an electrical idiot, the TBI stumps me on a regular basis.
    Good luck, let us know when you find out the horse #'s.

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

7. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Rich90 - the wires showing are the entire harness for the motor/computer. We decided to put them on prior to installing the motor to make it easier........mostly so we could route them between the tuned ports to actually keep them out of the way and improve the looks. Yes, there are 8 individual injectors.
    Realsquash - the chip was burnt by a local guy my engine builder works with. If you need more info I will ask for his number/name/email/etc. for ya. My builder has been working with this guy for a few years now.

9. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

Did your heads come off a 93 up LT1 out of a Z28 or TA? If so, what mods did he do to put on an old style block? These heads are reverse coolant flow, and will not work on older engines, unless he knows a trick. I want to know the trick if they are. These are awesome heads! Tommy

Drive it Like You Hate It!

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

We are using the reverse flow water pump, have to as you say with these heads and the fact that the serpentine belt setup forces you to do so. Should rock, you are right, those heads were a "surprise" throw in........

11. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I'd be interested to get a BIN of the chip you bought. It is very hard (impractical) for someone to modify a chip well enough to make it run well on a highly modified engine w/o getting some feedback from the vehicle after it's up and running....

Ask him for a BIN of the chip and see what he says :)

BTW, what is his name or company?

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

12. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

Another dumb question? How did you modify so water will get from the intake into the heads? The LT1 heads i have( I own an LT1 in my 69, thats why so many ??'s) do not have holes to pass water into the intake. I can remove intake without losing water. Thats what I'm getting at! Tommy

13. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Hey Frank,

Sweet motor ...!

Been thinkin ... again.

How difficult would it be to change to a serpentine set-up?

Thought it'd be easier to carry around one large belt verses 5 in variuos sizes.

Bob

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Good question, don't have a good answer..........the truck is still over at the builder's house/shop getting the detail work done.........these are "new" style LT-1 heads if that matters (you said your's were off a '69, think there would be a difference) with the hold downs through the center of the valve cover. These same heads and water pump setup/serpentine belt setup are directly off an LT-1 Camaro with the reverse flow water pump........that's all the technical facts I know. Sorry.........but will ask my builder when I see him probably Friday......

15. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Well, the serpentine belt setup is a direct bolt in off a car with TPI and the accessories. Not only do I get to have only one belt, I also get the smaller style A/C compressor (about half the depth of the original) and a newer steering pump. You would have to go to a reverse flow water pump, as the serpentine setup, by its design, turns the accessories the same direction as an early model, but the water pump runs opposite, hence the need for the new/different model water pump. It is a really easy conversion, looks trick and is much more solid than the original style I had on the truck before.

Guess you just need to find a donor vehicle (maybe one with a TPI and a blown motor) and take the parts needed off it.

16. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Will talk to the builder and see if I can get you this BIN thing (I assume it is the parameters/program info?). No problem. Let you know by the weekend. If you don't hear from me, e-mail me or repost on this thread and I will have my memory banks jogged...........LOL.

17. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

When you get the water pump and accessories on can you take a pic? I have a 97 LT1 drivetrain in my 69 Z28. Thanks, Tommy

18. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Will do........should be able to shoot the pix this weekend.