Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

punch 45

Discussion in 'Audio' started by txhotrod, Oct 19, 2005.

1. txhotrod

txhotrod Registered Member

Any one ever seen or heard of a punch 45(rockerfoasgate)? I found it my dd k5 when I bought while I was cleaning it out. It looks reaaly old, but seems to be in good condition. Any way to test it? It looks sorta like the new aniversary series amps on crutchfeild. Ill have pics in the morning.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its old school , but some people swear by them . Its worth some cash on ebay . They put out more than they were rated at , they still do . I just got back into car audio for reals with a new RF amp , my amps birthsheet shows waaaaaay more than the rated out put :D

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

mine puts out more than the alternator can replace :doah:

4. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

Garbage... you need to send it to me for proper disposal ;)

5. pauly383

Well they have been testing the new stuff against the old , using the new cea-2006 specifications for testing .

Punch 45 from 1990-1992

rated :

22.5 watts x2 @ 4 ohms
    35 watts x 2 @ 2 ohms
    70 watts @ 4 oms bridged

Actual :

50 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms
    76 watts x 2 @ 2ohms
    100 watts bridged @ 4 ohms :D:D:D:D

6. gauder

gauder Banned

Yes they were good amps. Like someone else said, a lot of people swore by them. I've heard the rockford's quality now is not what it used to be though, ever since they signed a deal with BestBuy or something like that.

7. pauly383

Wives tail , some people are just pissed they sell them at Best buy . I bought mine there for convenience , price , and the free sub deal .

They are cea-2006 compliant ( new standard testing ) , and sound great :D

8. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't have it. You should pay me to take it........I can give you my shipping address.

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I really liked the old punch 45, 75, & 150. Power 300, & 650 were great too. They are also talking about remaking the punch 45, 75, 150, & power 1000.

10. tuffdogstudio

Wives Tail? I doubt it.

RFs amps from BestBuy are probably fine (Gotta love that extended warranty) by todays standards, I'm just suggesting that todays standards are not as high as yesterdays.

None of these criteria are why we used to buy RF back in the day :wink1:

I cannot find any information about where RF manufactures their products, which to me smells of overseas manufacturing (if they were still manufactured in the US, the products would have it plastered all over them). I do know the new RF head units are absolute crap compaired to the older ones (personal experience), worse performermance than my el cheapo AIWA (Sony) deck.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Back in the day, RF was awesum. But I also belive thier quality controle isn't worth a chit anymore. That's why I run a MMATS amp and want TREO Engineering subs. I'm not sure how good Phoenix Gold is anymore, but I order one of thier 4 channel amps. I belive PG is still made here in the USA, but I could be wrong. I also think after alot of these companys build a big name for themselves, they let thier quality controle go out the window.

12. pauly383

As far as I know they are still made down the road from my work in Tempe , AZ .

I wanted one because of the name , and when looking for one Best Buy made sense to me , I'm not spending Daddy's money like the kids going to Kustom Kar Sound , I'm spending the money I didn't declare to the wife :wink1:

According to the forums at RF , they quit making headunits as it wasn't feasible anymore .

BTW , the new testing procedures are for many manufacturers , so you get an apples to apples comparison of power .

13. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Link to web page RF

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Pic Please!!!! Your lucky! I'm going to do a retro Audio System in my K-5, so I'm going to look for an old Alpine, Punch, PPI, or Special Edition amps! from the early to mid '80's...

15. tuffdogstudio

Thanx for that link Cmoe :) I looked and looked for info on it... the cynic in me does question what they mean by:

"All Rockford Fosgate amplifiers are designed and assembled in Tempe, Arizona, United States of America"

Does that mean the actual parts are manufactured in Tempe, or are the parts just assembled in Tempe?

16. pauly383

I don't think ayone makes there own caps , resistors , semiconductors etc . Probably just the cases , heatsinks and other stuff . But its cool to know the amp I just bought was put together here where I live :D

17. tuffdogstudio

Agreed about the resistors and caps... but, the "Made in America" designation is, from what I can tell, absent on RFs products and I think its probably because they don't qualify to make that statement anymore.

I only bring this up because that old Punch45 that started this thread has "Made in America" printed on the bottom of the amp.

18. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

As long as I've known Rockford has always been made only in the USA. I've been out of the Car Audio sean for almowt 15 years now.... But I've been through their hole plant in Tempe, AZ. and seen them building amps also an old GF use to work for them in the mid '80's.... They may have had someone build speakers for them for a while.

19. pauly383

There speakers are made by their susidiary , Rockford Acoustic Designs , in Grand Rapids , Michigan . Cool , I have lived in every state they make stuff in :D

20. tuffdogstudio

Would be awesome if RF is still managing to keep their qualty up, I have been a RF user for years and years, still rinning RF subs in two of my vehicle and RF amps in one of them... so, I went to the source. Posted the question on Rockfords website, I'll let ya know what the response is :)