Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Punishment

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cricket, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Is there a point at which a person has been punished enough, paid a price and merits forgiveness? We are taught growing up that there are moral, social & legal boundaries once crossed which will result in punishment, but we also teach redemption.

The Imus foot in mouth incident is what brings this to the forefront in my mind. It seems that socially we have descended to an all time low in humiliating and destroying people who make stupid mistakes. However we are short on forgiveness in general.

Opinions?

2. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Fo' Sheezy

3. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree. This thing has been blown way out of proportion big time.

On a side note, I'll bet that if someone like Carlos Mencia said something like that there would be no issue whatsoever.

4. runamok151

runamok151 1 ton status Premium Member

or chris rock or dave chapelle or spike lee movies and just about every hip hop/ rap song.

when these complainers stand up and put everyone on the spot and hold everyone to the same standards, then maybe they'd get my respect and support. as long as it's about entitlement for the few, they can pound sand.

5. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

True. And Dave Chappelle "Who I think is funny as **** " makes more fun of black people then anyone...but this is OK. The damn news networks which have stopped providing news and been turned into entertainment whores for 24 hours a day need to take a look at their hypocrisy. Maybe they should all be fined and made to apologize for every time they "reported" this story and repeated Imus's words over and over. I sit in this little cafe every afternoon to eat lunch and they always have the TV on one of the major news channels...I swear they repeat the same B.S. non-news crap 3-4 times within the 30 min I'm eating lunch.

This politically correct fanaticism is exhausting. My buddy and I were eating one day in this same cafe, like 16 tables and a TV at each end and we're making fun of the way Wilford Brimley enunciates the word "Diabetes"...not making fun of the disease...or calling anyone bad names, just repeating the word "Diabetes" the way Brimley does. This hyper-sensitive JackAss at the table across from us turns and says, "You know, I have diabetes and I would appreciate it if you would refrain from using that word...it's a very serious disease you know".........WHAT?,...Now I have to be afraid of what words I use in public because some little douchbag might have a case of crotch crickets? MAN, I hope I don't offend anyone when I have to ask for the salt shaker..."Excuse me sir, but my mom used to brutalize my favorite stuffed animail with a salt shaker when I was a little kid...could you please refrain from repeating the word salt shaker?"

STFU!!! and eat your lunch.:mad::mad::mad:

Here's the link to the commercial that was on that day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILIvPzyK_8I:haha::haha::haha:

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Thats funny, we see news stories ALL the time about murderers, rapists and other psychos walking free after ludicrously short prision time... sounds like we have WAY more forgiveness than we should.

Local story: psycho punk attacks several people with a butcher knife... including his own father. Before that, he busts in to some guys house and stabs him 42 times, killing him. Guy takes a plea deal... life internment in the state funny farm. Pretty solid punishment right? It would be, if they actually did that. Turns out that after 6-7 years, "doctors" at the funny farm have decided that its time to allow this scum bag out on to the streets again. Why the **** its even an option and in their hands I have no idea. They had the hearing yesterday and based on the comments I saw on TV, they aren't letting the guy out this time... but he can reapply every 6 months, and its only a matter of time. God I wish I was Bill Gates - rich, I'd buy the house right next to the lead doc who made that decision and then GIVE it to the psycho that day after his release... along with a set of butcher knives.

As far as Imus goes, I think its nothing more than a media campaign by racist people who happen to be black. Check out the transcript showing exactly what Imus said...

seriously... I've hear things eleventy-billion times more racially offensive on a daily basis during my commute. Also, the guy is getting blamed for everything said in the exchange when in reality he didn't say all that much. I honestly don't know how its a race thing. Tennesse has both white and black players right? Same with Rutgers... how is this a race thing again? You can be "nappy-headed", and a "ho".. and be white... right? If so, how is race even close to being an issue here? He says that all the Tennesse girls were "all so cute"... which implies that he thought the black girls on the team were attractive also... which also suggests that he isn't a racist.

Lastly, this whole issue is clearly sexist. If it was a mens basketball team and he said "man, those guys are some nappy headed pimps over at UNLV"... NO ONE, ANYWHERE, would have an issue with that. Treating people differently based entirely on their sex is the definition of sexist...

j

7. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Because he's white, wears a cowboy hat & lives on a ranch........and they are black. It's only politically correct to make fun of white middle class males in this society.

The thought police are coming and we're all gonna be doing some hard time.

8. jekbrown

middle class white males? yeah, rich white males never catch any flak! :grin:

j

9. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Hey,...don't talk about Can Can like that...I saw what he made last year diggin' ditches. Maybe he's behind this whole Imus thing?:confused:

:D:D:D

---------------------

10. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

There was an article I read within the last six months aboot 'White Guilt'. And the Imus incident illustrates the articles' point perfectly.

The Left looks the other way when 'other races' make bigoted remarks, but raises holy-hell if a white man says something like what Imus spewed.

And for the record, Jiminycricket DOES practice what he preaches :D :wink1: !

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Let me narrow the focus a bit. I'm talking about non-criminal behavior. People don't get physically hurt, just their feelings or sense of pride.

In my opinion if you screw up and apologize for your error, you should be given a shot at redeeming yourself. That is the line I usually draw. The person must realize they screwed up and have a desire to fix it.

But to be skewered and roasted without the opportunity to make amends after you openly apologize to the person you have offended is wrong in my eyes.

How about it?

12. jekbrown

we agree.

Its very interesting to me that the two biggest loudmouths (Sharpton / Jackson) trying to get this guy fired are both blatantly racist assholes... and yet the media completely ignores that fact and turns to them as if they were paragons of virtue in all matters inter-racial.

j

13. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Well, I think like you do.. either an apology means something or it doesn't.. but in this case, the wounded party ( and the wounded parties' self appointed guardians ) get to stay in front of the TV cameras longer if they keep the pressure on, and remain outraged.

It's all agenda driven.. if you can do something for the movement ( IE: bill clinton ), you can do no wrong and forgivness is just a press conference away.. just bite yer lip, cry and go sin again..

Finding ( or inventing ) victims and victimizers is what the left does best..

14. jekbrown

btw, the people who forced them to fire Imus are the same ones who scream about freedom of speech at the top of their lungs when they say something heinous/dumb/ignorant and don't want to be held responsible for it.

j