Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Puppy questions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, May 7, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Well we broke down and did it. The house was just too empty without a pup around so we got this cute little 1/2 lab, 1/2 golden retriever. She's 12 weeks old and we've been working on her name and the come command. Only thing I think will be a challenge is her car riding habits. We picked her up about 40 miles away and she puked in the car 9 times and peed twice. Part of that I'd attribute to nerves, but she puked in the car on a 10 mile drive once today. Are dogs trainable for the car? Or is carsickness an unchangable thing? I used to take our last one everywhere, and I assumed they all like to go. So any advice on that topic would be appreciated. And there's a couple pics of her in my webshots in the sig if anyone's interested.

Bryan

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I have not a clue but a hint ...

Try to let her ride in the back of a truck till she gets used to the movements of the riding....
    Or invest in a carpet shampooer..LOL...mike
    P.S. the puppy puke is like kid puke I won't get anywhere near it...mike

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Its a nervous thing. Is the pup weary of the vehicle just in the driveway? Or when its running and just in the driveway? You can aclimate the pup like you would a child by gradually introducing the car rides. Most adult animals that fear the car are associating it with the vet, since they only get into it for that. Being that it is a pup, I figure 80% of its life has been going to see the vet. At least for the pups I have dealt/dealing with anyway. I just include the dogs in any vehicle related activity, for any particular reason as long as they just get used to seeing/being in the vehicle. Normally when I work on the truck thedogs will be in it or watching me from the seat of the car. At the moment they just crawl around and yap at other vehicles. My oldest dog just stays in the space directly behind the passenger seat......I guess shes been around long enoughto know how I drive/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Not a big deal, my dog did that when she was a pup too. She grew out of pretty quick. Afew short trips to the gas station or park, helped her get used to the car rides.

I think it's just normal ol' car sickness, once they get used to it they'll stop getting sick.

Peeing in the car, who knows, nervouse reaction or just had to go. Probably not a probelem either. (but don't encurage the behavior, it's best to ignore it as much as possible)

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I used a kennel cab when my dog was a pup till he got used to ridding in the car. It was easier to clean up the puke and piss. Just hose it out when ya get home.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Kennel cab-Pet carrier

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yeah, i dont know wtf i was thinkin taking the car to go get her. Guess I never dreamed of car sickness. Then like a big dummy, I took the car again. But not the third time!!!

I'll try breaking her into it slow. Thanks for the hints. It's been a long time since i've had a pup this young. Usually they're strays that have been around the block a time or two. Maybe I'll keep a kennel thingy in the car too. Great ideas. Thanks guys.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Another topic alltogether, but would it be possible to teach her to be a decent bird dog and still have her as a family pet? She has a great nose, and I hate trying to flush those quail out in west texas every fall. Probably only use her for that 3 or 4 times a year. Worth the hassle? Or would it take a full time dedicated, non pampered bird dog?

9. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Very possible. My dad's bird dog is sitting right here on the floor next to me. Or was............where'd the little shii..............anyways, it's totally possible. Only down side is she points all the little robins and sparrows to you when you try to take her for a walk.

"Yes Whitney, I see the birdie, thank you, now keep moving."/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Ours is a pure breed French Britney Spaniel, dad got her from a kennel down in Alabama, had her trained there several times, all that. She's a good retreiver and pointer, and not a bad pet./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

She's also the runt of the litter and kinda neurotic, but she hunts well and is fun to have around.

10. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

http://www.dogomania.com/breed/breed286/
    http://www.dogomania.com/breed/breed212/

we've got three dogs, all differnet ages. the oldest one tolerates riding in vehicles. she'll jump right in the truck, but kinda slobbers alot. doesn't seem to like it much, though. the three year old and the puppy absolutley love it. they're the first ones in the truck, and the puppy even gets mad at my wife if she goes somewhere in the car without taking her.
    lotsa short little trips to get her used to the movement should do the trick.
    while she's a puppy, make a big deal about her coming to you when you call her. give her big hugs, and make her very happy to have come all the way over to you. don't call her to you for punishment. if she's in trouble, go to her. and when she pees cause you're yelling, she's not necessarily scared, she showing you her submission.
    i learned alot of tricks about using their natural instincts to train them from a book a buddy gave me. we got a momma and her pup, and watching them interact really helped, too.
    anything i can tell you about, just ask.

11. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I have 2 Boxer pups.
    The male Buddy loves to go riding, his sister Blazer still pukes all over the place.
    Ya have to drag Buddy out and Blazer is a 2 person deal to get her in a rig,
    Ya have to tie her to the spare so she don't jump out at a stop sign. I don't think she will ever like being in a rig.
    The other dogs though, if the door is open and ya turn your back they are sitting in and ready to go. LOL
    Except for Danzig he is so damn old and fat he just sits with his front paws up on the floor waiting for someone to boost his ass up in LOL.

12. finnd

finnd Registered Member

Both my puppies rode great distances to join our family in Northern Virginia. We drove to Cincinnati for Bailey, and flew to Denver and drove a rental back with Seamus. They both love to ride.

From the wolfhound list my wife is on, you could try sitting with your puppy in the car for 5 or ten minutes without going anyplace at all. After a few times of that, sit there with the car running. After a while they will get used to it and there will be no problems.

Here is a link to a picture of my two puppies, 10 months and 5 months old.

Good luck.

13. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Hmm link no worky LOL
    That is a good idea, i'll have to try that.

14. finnd

finnd Registered Member