Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

purchase of old blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by terrier72, Jul 6, 2004.

1. terrier72

terrier72 1/2 ton status

I live in SC and am about to purchase a '74 blazer as a parts truck for the '75 i am currently restoring. The guy who /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif i am purchasing this from has lost the title or cant find it. If i purchase this vehicle and decide later to fix it up and put it on the road can i obtain a title or the proper papers on it to make it legal tp dirve on the street?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, you can prolly get a new title from the DMV. It will be helpful to have a paper trail proving yourself as the rightful owner. A bill of sale from the current owner, with the VIN on it, is a start. A bill of sale from the owner of record to him would be best.

I'd call the local DMV first. If it were me, I'd get the VIN and call the DMV with it, so they can tell you the current owner of record, and/or see if it's listed as hot.

-- A

3. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

It'll be alot easier to get a replacement title now.

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

There are places advertised in Hemmings Motor News that sell titles for any vehicle under 1985--I think they are in alabama--a friend got a title from them for a 62 nova he restored,I think it cost 125 bucks.I'd try the RMV and apply for a lost title replacement under the former owners name first.Whatever you do,dont wait--title laws are getting harder to get around every day,I think there is only a few states that will still allow selling them.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Write down the VIN, go to your local police dept. They can tell you name and address of last person it was registered to. Contact person, offer then $20.00 and pay the loss of title. They get replacement title and sign it over to you. I've had too do that in the past.