Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Purchased Stock Rear Leaf Springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric, Oct 18, 2000.

1. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Well, they have been ordered! New leaf-springs and all necessary hardware. Purchased them from LMC. Total price for the 2 rear (5-leaf) springs and hardware was about $315. Hate to drop that kind of coin, but with one leaf broken, just not worth chancing.

Should I expect a difference in ride or handling? Will they last as long as the original ones?

Anybody have installation tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance!

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

2. KING K5

KING K5 1/2 ton status

That sounds like alot to me, I have an '81 K5 and I had 2 broken leafs in each of my rear spring paks. Took to a place here in Sacramento called "Sac Springs", they replaced all 4 broken leaves, rearched my springs to give me 2.5" of lift, all new hardware and bushings and new rear shackles all for $310!
    As for installing, it's pretty straight forward, I didn't have any problems at all.

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

$315 is pretty steep, but the price sounds right for new. I bought used springs from a 89'K5 (in near perfect condition) for $100 for both. Anyways, your ride will feel like it did before it was broke. Installation is very easy. Jack truck up. Rest jack on frame, unbolt bolt holding springs to the shackle and the hanger, then bolt the new springs on. good luck.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Go to Sears and get a rolling wedge pin or a long punch to help line up the holes. Lay the rear of the spring in the shackle and then put the front bolt in first. Then put the rear bolt in. The wedge pin/punch will help you line the bolt hole up. When I put the rear springs on (4" lift) I had to use a c-clamp and a block of wood to get the rear bolt hole to line up. The arch of the spring (no load condition) made the bolt hole about an inch short of lining up. With the weight back on the spring everything lined up (shackle vertical). If they came with rubber bushings, change them out now with urethane bushings. My nickels worth.