Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Purchasing Optima, questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yukon Jack, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I can get a red top dual post Optima for $119 locally but the guy mentioned he has a yellow top that was used by a guy for about 5 months and he needed something different so the battery guy took it as a trade. He said I could buy it for $50.00.

I want the right battery for my truck but I have heard the yellow tops being used as regular starting batteries. This would go on my 69 K20 with a 454, maybe have electric fans at some point and hopefully a winch but that is years away.

I would assume the used yellow top would be without warranty.

Money is not the issue if the red is the one I should be using I will buy it, but the yellow is pretty cheap.

What do you think?

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Red top has more cranking amps and only slightly less reserve capacity than the yellow top both are good batterys and you'll be happy with either but I would go with the red top for now and when you get your winch get 2 yellow tops

3. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Check ebay. I just bought 2 brand new blue top optimas for 89 each plus 14 shipping. The same shop has the red tops for 79+shipping. These were still in the wrapper and have a full warranty.

Mike

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Isn't the yellow top a deep cycle? Deep cycles make great batteries for 4x4's. The specs might be similar, but you get every ounce of power with a deep cycle. I have a Pro Comp/Exide Optima knock off, "yellow top" deep cycle/off-road, it is an owesome battery, cranks over very strong every time, even though the truck sits for weeks at a time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I run two yellow tops in my K20 and a redtop in the rest of my trucks the yellow tops are great for running big stereos, winches,Lights, and other High draw accessories But for normal starting the redtop is better quite a bit more cranking and cold cranking amps then the yellow tops

6. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Here are some hard numbers:

Yellow top:
    650 CCA
    120Min Reserve
    55Ah Capacity

Red top:
    800 CCA
    104min Reserve
    50Ah capacity

http://www.optimabatteries.com/

For all around use the red top would probably fit your needs better. It will start better in the cold and power your average accessories just fine. If you run a lot of electrical accessories the yellow top may be better. A trick setup would be 2 yellow tops. Then you would have 1300 CCA and enough reserve to last a really long time.

7. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

I use 2 blue tops. They are marine cycle. Picked them up at Costco

8. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I have two yellow tops and I got them from Carquest for $89 each. They are blems but still carry a 5 year warranty.
    I have lots of power toys on my truck and have never had a problem. For $50 you can't really go wrong I think.

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have a yellow top in mine and i run a winch lots of lights and a big stereo and have never had a problem with mine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

my single yellow top runs my 4 rock lights and 2 driving lights fine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif