Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Purchasing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HailStorm, May 30, 2002.

1. HailStorm

HailStorm Registered Member

Hello,
    I recently found about the K5 Blazer (a friend of mine has one) and it looks really cool, i was wondering what year/years would be best for someone who would just have gotten his license, and some basic modifications to make the truck run better, thanks

Ted

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ok... see up at the top there's a link that says "Specifications," that's a great place to compare features that each year may have that you might want to have in a truck you get (I realize you are new to the scene by what you said so you might need some help to understand what all the specs mean... I sure did!). Of course you need to determind what you want to get, your budget and what you want to do with it.

Someone being young (from an cost stand point and insurance stand point) two things to start you off to consider...

-If you have smog laws an older one might be exempt (that can save some big bucks not having to bring things up to par to pass with all the crap there is like there is here in CA)

-Insurance is usually lower for older trucks

Also are you looking for auto or manual tranny... that'll help to figure out what tranny and t-case to go with. Depending on the gearing in the axles that'll help figure out what size tires to get. Then you can figure out the kind of lift you want... also do you want to run a carb or fuel injection? So anyhow think about the basic stuff then we can go from there...

3. HailStorm

HailStorm Registered Member

Cool, thanks, I'll take a look at that, Manual would be nice, but i will probably end up with an auto. don't know the diff 'tween carb and fuel injection; maybe about a 4" lift, maybe a bit less, this won't be going offroad, just pounding pavement, oh, fine, you convinced me, a bit of offroad stuff.....:) How much would I be looking to spend?

Ted

EDIT: added more answers, didn't see all the question.....whoops

4. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

89-91 has most of the street-going goodies. cruise control, efi, od tranny, etc.
    lotsa creature comforts, too, like kickass a/c, power every-damn-thing, and decent gas mileage.
    10b rear is a bit suspect, but there are thousands out there with thousands of miles on them, so it's something to be aware of, not scared of.
    for 70/30 street/off-road, i would go for the newest, most loaded model you can find. low miles, good shape, few owners, etc are things to look for, also.
    lifts are fairly cheap for the solid axle trucks, so even if the truck you find is stock, you can jack 'er up no problem.
    don't know exactly where in the midwest you are, but i hear tell blazer 'bout grow on trees. figure five thousand to get every bit of truck you could want, or you could find a sweet older rig for two.
    either way, you usually end up spending money on your truck no matter how much you pay for it. there's always something to buy or improve.
    it's addicting!
    good luck.