Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PURPLE OIL....who uses it and is it as good as they say??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Jan 12, 2003.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

I've seen the latest and suppose to be the greatest oil in advertisements. It's made for the motor,tranny and diff's too. Suppose to give you more horses proven by dyno's and be much better for the parts it surrounds. BUT.....cost's like 10.00 a quart. So some info would be great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I assume you're alking about Royal Purple? That stuff, Amsoil or Mobil 1, all of them are excellent choices for synthetic oil. I use Mobil 1 only because it's a bit less expensive than the others. </font color>

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

we used that when we did our rear end 1K service...

We use Mobile 1 Delvan true synthetic motor oil in our Duramax....seems from what I've read Amsoil and Mobil are bout the same...some people can get Amsoil cheaper from an authorized "salesman"...so they go that route.

Brandy

4. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Hot Rod did an article on this stuff a while back and gained like 5HP just from an oil change. I don't remember the exact HP gain but you can probably find the article at
    http://www.hotrod.com

5. twenty_below0

Yeah this is what I mean and i dont think it is the same as Mobil 1 because I have ran Mobil but this is something new to the Market....anyone else run this new stuff (not synthetic oil ) But the COOL purple stuff??????? ANYONE

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Royal Purple is supposed to be good stuff. If you want the ultimate in synthetic protection, use the same oil almost all NASCAR teams use, Amsoil. It is the best and they offer products to work in conjunction with it like oil filters of unheard of efficiency as well as 2 stage oiled foam air filters that trap more dirt than a K&amp;N ever thought of and more than a paper element too. No, I'm not a dealer, but a now loyal customer. They even say to check your oil after the vehicle has sat for 20 mins to make sure all the oil has drained back into the crankcase.

7. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I agree with 79Beast on this one. Amsoil is THE stuff. How about a 35,000 mile/1 year oil change interval with their 0W-30 or 25,000 mile/1 year interval with their 10W30 series 2000 oil. That says a lot to me.

Will

8. twenty_below0

OOOH sounds good what is the cost for a filter and oil change with Ams? 7 1/2 quarts ( I have a large pan)

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    25,000 mile/1 year interval with their 10W30 series 2000

[/ QUOTE ]
    Anyone try this? What about Oil filters?
    Whats the $/quart on this stuff?

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

don't think i'd ever go that long between oil changes- that's just gotta be wrong...The most I'd go is 7K which we do with our Mobil 1 Delvac...wonder what GM would say if something happened to my engine, and they found out that I only change the oil once a year...hmmmmm thinking the warranty would be shot....wonder if Amsoil would purchase my replacement? Doubt it

Brandy

11. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Filter is about $10. 0W-30 Series 2000 is about $8 per quart and 10W-30 is about $5.70 per quart. To learn more, go to www.syntheticoiltech.com/oil/mgibbs
    You'll find lots of useful info. there and links to order products online.

Will

12. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

There's a lot of people out there running Amsoil, including me. 79Beast is also running it and a dual stage foam air filter.

Will

13. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Just check the website listed earlier for info. on warranties. It's federal law (under the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975) that warrranties cannnot be voided unless the oil is proven to have caused the failure. And yes, Amsoil has a warranty that if the oil was proven to have caused the failure, they will cover all parts and labor costs. All of this is on the website listed earlier.

Will

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I used castrol magnatech a couple of years ago and they claimed 15-18k between changes and I used it for 3 years each year I ran 15k and changed it 3 times, I can say it was great and MPG's went up and the engine stayed clean and never burned oil. It had 65k on it and it was a 79 model. It still runs strong today at 100k.
    Now I don't do that anymore since I switched to diesel, and the oil gets real dirty after 3-5k so I change it more often, plus I use rotella for diesel so it's not syntethic and I only go for a max of 3 months on regular oils.
    I would try that purple , or the amsoil on a gasoline engine just because I like testing new products.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I use Redline in my diff's and really like it. It doesn't smell like crap like normal gear oil and it quiets down the gears and help with shock in the driveline. I have been told by the PO of my front axle that has a lockright in it that is makes it almost noiseless. I haven't heard it while I have had it in 4x4. Not to metion that the stuff I am running is super thick and is supposed to cool the diff fluid temp by 75*.

16. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

For a qt of SAE 10W-30 your cost would be 5.85, I pretty sure you would need a SDF-24 filter your cost is 10.45. The other thing Amsoil has is a By-Pass Oil Filter
    Engine wear is caused by dirt particles of about 5 microns. The AMSOIL By-Pass Oil Filter removes particles LESS than one micron or larger, Virtually eliminating engine wear. Amsoil By-Pass Oil Filters filter all the oil in a six-quart system in about five minutes an average engine seep equivalent to 45mph.
    One of the reasons you can go 25000 miles on a oil change is you start out with the best oil Amsoil doesn't have all the crap that can cuase problems you just change the filter half way at 12500.
    In the long run you will save money compared to someone that changes their oil every 3000 miles
    Is the up-front cost alot yes it is But I feel it's worth it my motor runs better and runs cooler I get better fuel mileage it starts easyer.
    Amsoil beat out Mobil 1 in a test done not to long ago you mite beable to read about in the link below.
    Now as to the cost of Amsoil you can sign up to be a Dealer Like me and if someone would want to do that ask me I'll help set you up.
    The other way is to become a Preferred Customer you pay a 20$ or 25$ and you can get everything at the Dealer cost
    My cost on the SDF-24 oil filter is 8.00 and my cost for the 10-30 oil is 4.55 a qt.
    If anyone has any Questions Feel free to ask me I'll do what I can to help.

Eric

17. twenty_below0

Sounds really good but could be expensive for guys that burn a little oil, I burn about a quart every 3,500 miles
    I just built this motor not to long ago but put it up loose so I can run the long HIGH rpm's. My leak down is about 4% with gapless rings. Which is still pretty damn good I also ran a little more clearance on the bearings. I was taught this with Dirt track cars but found it works very nice with everyday motors as well. Just dont run quite as much clearance (the dirt motors are real loose) and you're good EXCEPT you burn a little oil. Like me /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The price you pay to see 7,000 consistantly without problems. I will check out the site and see about the dealership options

18. Highlander

Yes if your motor burns some oil a synthetic mite not be for you . But in your case where you burn very little Amsoil would be the ticket. And Living in AK the cold is a big factor you need a oil thats not Sludge. A 5-30 would be great but you could use a 10-30 .
    Check it out, They have more than just oil. I now have Amsoil in everything but the Brake's
    If you want to become a dealer it will cost you 60.$ now that will get you everything you need to start out with. You don't need a big investment
    There is a Amsoil Dist. Center in Plamer AK
    Do me a favor if you sign up as a dealer or a Customer use my ZO # 0529948
    Thanks Eric

19. Highlander

Yes I do the 25,000 mile oil change. I change the oil filter once at 12,500 miles and I'm good.
    If you would like a price of oil and a filter let me what motor you have and I'll get the price to you.
    To say I'm a little Bias on this is a understatement /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I believe that Amsoil Filters and the Oil Products the best out there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric

20. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm still a little leary about changing brands. I know my pops bought the truck new and he has used valvoline, so I did also. I got a quicky oil change a couple times and I could tell the difference when they used Quarker State and Pensoil. When I got the truck the motor had about 60K on the replacement (GM messed up a head gasket doing warrenty work and it threw a rod while towing our 26' RV 400 miles from home!), after the Maxlife came out I changed to it and started running 10w30 maxlife and its always dependable and only every few oil changes does it turn really dark.
    Maybe when I get the Blazer #2 rebuilt I'll break it in with your stuff and see /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif It will be the offroad truck I'm going to build up. I think my daily driver will stay valvoline for a little longer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif