Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Purpose of a stinger?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Dec 21, 2005.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

what is the point of a stinger? I can thing of a few but they dont seem all that needed. they can knock the brush away, maybe help you slide around an obstible if your stuck. gives you a place to mount lights..

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

protects the radiator in the event of a rollover?

ryan

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

replacement for a real-sized wiener? Just a guess... :grin: Sometimes on some rigs they look kinda cool, but I really don't see much practical use. They might help you on some obstacles... but they could just as easily be a hinderance on a different obstacle. In theory, protecting the radiator and other under-hood stuff during a roll is a reason to have a stringer... but that doesn't explain why it has to stick out way in front of the truck like some of them do...

j

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Isn't a second purpose of a stinger to aid in stopping a frontal roll? :confused:

5. jekbrown

i think if you got to the point where you could potentially forward roll, every stringer I have ever seen would just allow you to pitch forward anyway, but with some additional "twist" as you went to the side. On some trails, where a cliff could be nearby to the right or left, I think I'd rather just roll straight forward...

j

6. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

bingo

mine saved me once, and saved my radiator, but mines is retarted overkill and it getting soms sazall action.

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

It basically serves the same purpose of a brushguard/grillguard with protecting the radiator and grill, with the added idea to protect those components in the advent of a roll and possible prevent a forward roll. Though a true forward roll is pretty rare, you don't want to do it. Under just about any circumstance it would be better to lay the rig over on the side versus a forward roll because a true forward roll would be very violent.

8. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha:
    I included a big one on the front of the Beetle....
    [​IMG]

Part of the reason that I did was that the thing was pretty ugly anyway, and I thought it may add some "style" points....:D But after living w/ it for a while, I've found it to be most useful for the following:
    1) It's a convenient "grab bar" for any "push, pull, or counterweight (almost tip over)" type of actions. And the added "leverage" that a big one provdes (:haha: couldn't say that and keep a straight face...) comes in handy!
    2) Backing off of really steep obstacles like waterfall climbs and such - it kinda lets you down easy instead of just dropping you.

Other than that, I think its just a "style"....

Marv

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  9. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Come on.. we all know they're for stopping your from plummiting into a deep crevase while crossing cracks ... :wink:

Ok, I'm joking, ... but remember those "stingers" that those artic guys run? :lol: That's why they runs theirs.. but they're built for it.

10. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I thought it was to poke the guys rig in front of you. :confused::confused:

:haha:

11. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

poke, poke,............poke, poke..............poke, poke :haha: :haha: :haha:

12. FWP

FWP CRS

Marv's beetle isn't fast enough to keep up. :haha: He's always the one gettin poked in the rear:eek1: :p: :haha: .. from what Rob tells me anyway:haha:

Seriously though, My little tube thingy out front is only there to save my expensive winch from getting smashed by rocks.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I don't think it would help in a forward roll except in very limited scenarios. If you look at most rigs and the stinger orientation, even assuming you are coming down to level ground, by the time you touch down with the stinger, and figure in some momentum, the CoG is going over the tip anyway unless you have one of those ridiculously long/tall John Holmes wanna-bes on there. Add to that an understanding that most forward endos (that can't be driven out of) happen coming down a hill or in other scenarios where the truck is already past vertical before the stinger hits, and you can see that banking on a stinger to make a difference is worse odds than russian roulette with 5 chambers loaded. If anything, levering over a tallish stinger could make the impact more violent by swatting the rig onto it's lid rather than the sorta roll effect you get across the core support, window frame, and then onto the lit. In short, stopping a forward endo is not somewhere you should be looking for a stinger to help out.

My opinion:

95%+ exist primarily for the same reason those big wings are on all the hondas. ;) Though those guys will ALWAYs swear it's for some legitimate purpose, just like the body kits and wings on a Honda. :haha:

<5% are really for protecting the engine/radiator, but a shorter "cage" afair would work just as well.

But I think the original reason was to help eliminate stopping on your lid in a roll and to deflect to one side to reduce the damage/injury/impact of a violent endo going forward. With the weight in the engine and all forward, most rigs wind up on the windshield frame and the core support when upside-down. With a stinger, you would be more likely to have enough energy to continue on at least to the side, rather than stay on the lid. Likewise, it might fall back onto the side if it didn't have enough to reach a balance point on the top. <shrug> But think of going straight over forward, vs touch-down on the stinger followed by a pirouette onto the side into more of a barrel roll. Much less impact force and less chance for damage/injury.

And of course the comp guys sometimes use them with spotter ropes to help manipulate the vehicles with added leverage.

Those are completely opinion, but that's my view on "stingers". If you notice on my truggy, I have a short squareish "stinger" thing to protect my radiator and lights, but I just couldn't bring myself to stick a big phallic proxy on the front for the questionable roll avoidance feature OR the roll modification effects…

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

what about making at the aproch angle of the truck, lets youknow if it is too steep to climb?

i made a small one on mine, better than a bush garde, helps push small trees (saplings) and brush under the truck, gives room for the lights, and every one and there mother can get bolt on ones for there crappy never off road truck.

yet

15. jekbrown

...unless of course there is a cliff to one side and you careen a thousand feet down to the bottom when a straight-forward endo would have only resulted in a headache. :grin: :thumb: ;)

IMO this is one of the more practical applications... especially when coming up a super steep grade.. the stringer sticking up way high allows the spotter rope guy to help keep the front end down... and with a heavy rig he'll need all the leverage he can get.

j

16. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

"And of course the comp guys sometimes use them with spotter ropes to help manipulate the vehicles with added leverage."

That is what I see them used for mostly. Or to rap up your strap or winch rope for quick pulls and extractions.

17. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

There for hanging-up your rig at night. Or maybe for mounting a seat on to do your rino hunting.........

18. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I always saw them as something that ran along your max approach angle line so you could slide up on top of obstacles that were too steep. However most comp buggies have the tires ahead of everything else so that rules that out for them. Who knows.

19. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Im pretty sure they originated on the baja type buggys/ trucks Where they were basicly a large sort of "skid plate" to aid in landing off a jump at high speeds with your nose pointed a bit to far down.

20. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thats what i thought, i'm just planning my front bumper, and most stingers look out of place to me. So i'm just trying to see if I can find a good enough reason to put one on