Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Purpose of dual shocks in the front?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73K5Kid, Apr 24, 2007.

1. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

What is the purpose of dual shocks in the front on my blazer? I orded a new all spring 4 inch lift kit and it only comes with 4 shocks. Do 8 inch lift kits need the 2 front shocks for some reason? Where am I going to mount the 1 front shock there are to places up top on the front engine frame? The one to the front or back of it? Dumb question but I assume the 8 inch lift shocks are longer than the 4 inch shocks? Could I use the shocks that are already on there? The lift is only about a year old. The quy I bought if off of installed it before he sold it to me. Thanks in advance.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Dual shocks were a heavy duty option . Basically two light shocks equal one heavy shock , they did this for less shock fade on rough roads .

3. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Thanks Paul anyone else with the rest of the questions. Thanks

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

When I had my '79 it was a single front shock truck, which is your rear-most mount option. It rode very nice with the 9K's there. Actually surprised me on 90 miles of Baja washboard roads with how well the set-up worked.

The '91 is a dual front shock truck, but the thing rode badly with two shocks up there. Harsh & stiff. I dumped the all the Gabriels and put on the RS 9K's, at least until I can get to building some low hoops for the Fox's.
    When I took the Gabe's off I put the 9K's in the outer-forward set of locations. Much better ride quality.

5. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

From what I understand the "old" shock technology dictated that you needed more shocks since they didn't stand up to fade as well, but new technology such as that used in monotubes (ie bilsteins and others) makes fade much less of an issue. Plus you can buy monos based on valving for your application in order to better match your rig instead of just adding more shocks.

6. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Here is a pic of my lift. Will I need to change anything to run the single shocks with the new lift? So I take running more shock is not going to do me any better than running a strong single shock. I kind of was hoping I could run the shocks that are on my blazer. The shocks are less than a year old. Can someone answer if I can use my 8 inch shocks that are currently on the blazer? :doah:

a6_1.jpg

7. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Hmm, I doubt shocks for an 8" lift would work with a 4" lift, you could probably get them installed, but...

8. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

So you have an 8" lift currently on the K5 and just bought a 4" lift to swap under it? Is the 8" lift all suspension?

When I was talking to Superlift I talked to them about the double shock deal. Dude told me that those two shocks are very much different internally. You should not run the secondary shock as a single shock but you could use the primary one as a stand alone. The secondary shock is a tad longer too. Given that info you can take off your second bracket on the frame and just mount the one shock in the standard location- nearest the frame. I very seriously doubt you can run an 8" lift shock on a 4" lift truck- without modifying some brackets. I might be interested in those two 8" shocks if you decide to get rid of them.