Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PURPOSELY getting mass mailed a virus, *updated* from another ck5 member

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by uglychevyZZ4, Jan 30, 2003.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

UPDATED at the bottom, /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif time to stop playing, I have your ISP fawker /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif and so does Symantec Corp, you WILL be held accountable. ( p.s. this IS NOT shawn doing this new one )

Im posting this here because it is off4x4 topic and is a concern,FFEDBACK FORUM

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Re: Careful, CK-5 members getting mass mailed a virus, info here

Shaun's right. I've been getting these viruses like that for about the last two years. Started out on a couple e-mail lists that I'm on, then I've received a couple like it from someone's e-mail on another website and got one from admin@coloradoK5.com a few months ago. That is one thing I like about AOL, the files stay closed until I decide to open and I never open them.

3. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

YEP.... Although I use Yahoo for the same reason... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I've even gotton some mailed to me FROM ME! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif That ever happen to you Bubba?

4. uglychevyZZ4

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    That ever happen to you Bubba?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yup. Usually when I test addresses, or something wierd and when I feel lonely. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. uglychevyZZ4

Usually when I test addresses, or something wierd and when I feel lonely.

[/ QUOTE ] Sooo, is that kinda along the lines of
    " Set the sheep free, and if it returns, it is yours, and if it dosent, it never was "
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Well Rob, since you've been on a roll lately, want ya to do something for me. since I've been averaging somewhere around 150 posts a weekend, I need someone to keep my spirit alive while I'm out actually wheeling this weekend. I'll be leaving tomorrow morning and won't be back 'til Sunday.............

So if you would take my place and post a truckload of useless, redneck ramblings and drivel that no one else cares about, would you please carry my torch this weekend?

PS-Stay away from my sheep, and keep fumes away from them too. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

PS-Stay away from my sheep, and keep fumes away from them too

[/ QUOTE ] Those is my hoes beotch....BUBB RUBB SAY , WOOOOO WOOOOO.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

What'd ya tryin to do, start the first ever pimpwar on CK5? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. uglychevyZZ4

So if you would take my place and post a truckload of useless, redneck ramblings and drivel that no one else cares about, would you please carry my torch this weekend?

[/ QUOTE ] I would expect something better from you Bubba, you just didnt have your heart into it I guess /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif And as far as the " Being on a roll " .... Umm, and what exactly have a i been on a roll with?

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I would expect something better from you Bubba, you just didnt have your heart into it I guess And as far as the " Being on a roll " .... Umm, and what exactly have a i been on a roll with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I have flashes of brillance, unfortunately, this ain't my year. As for being on a roll, I've noticed that you've been posting a lot more lately. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. landsmasher

[thread hijack] Hey Rob, I got ahold of a manual and now I know what a shim looks like. I also now know what a carrier is and where the ring gear goes and all that good stuff. So now I will feel comfortable using your tech write up when regearing.[/thread hijack] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. uglychevyZZ4

nah, i dont have alot of posts, now z3pr, thats ALOT of posts /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. uglychevyZZ4

Re: CK-5 members getting mass mailed a virus, ****NOW MORE****

ok, i have gotten 1 today that were also virused from someone of surg7498@yahoo.com from HOMEPAGE and he sent it as an attatchment named " title.exe " so watch it, people clean your sh!t /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif and sergio, if that was on purpose, gawd help you, i have plenty of those too, in my quarentine folder /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif this wasnt an accident i think, i was emailed a ck5 thread that ive never been to and they didnt even send any message either /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

15. uglychevyZZ4

and another from sacook@russelmellon.com just let me find out who you are, but im sure i know /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, theres that old saying, " give em enough rope "

16. uglychevyZZ4

and another........ ok, not only is the virus lame /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif against my Norton, but thats fawked up. I know who you are and " Symantec Ent.. " now has an ISP and is tracking it, you fawked up on that last one, your ass is fryed FAWKER /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

17. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

my office got hit with the "klev" again yesterday...but the way it works isn't as easy to figure out who sent it to you..

person A's computer is infected-

it pickes names out of the address book- it sends person B emails stating its from person C when really it's not....

luckily for me, my norton picks them up before i open them BUT the email address it said it came from- no way could it have, as that user is no longer with the company...just the name is still active.....

Brandy

18. landsmasher

Rob, these virus infected emails are not from the people they say they are from. This is happening to everyone. Everyone who uses email is getting them. I've gotten them and the sender is listed as ME! I know I didn't send it...

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Rob, never trust the "From" address of an email. Don't trust header info, either.

Brandy said it pretty good. The newer virus trend is to mass mail itself to a persons address book, and pick random names from the address book to fill in the "from" field. So when Joe Smith sends you a message with a virus attached, it shows up looking like it's from John Doe. You and John Doe are both in Joe Smiths address book. John Doe may not even have that email address anymore, but because it's in Joe Smiths address book, the virus makes it look like it's from him.

Make sure you stay up to date on your virus scanner software, and then forget it. If you stick to some safe habits, like not opening every attachment you get and being extremely wary of the ones you do open, you'll be fine. Just treat them as spam and ignore them.

Just to give you an idea, at work (back in the glory days when we had control of our email server instead of corporate), we blocked the following attachment file extensions, and only one or two large virus infections in the last 3 years (brought in by an AOL user):
    *.exe
    *.scr
    *.pif
    *.bat
    *.vbs
    *.vbe
    *.js
    *.jsp
    *.shs

I know guys that run thier shops without blocking anything, and are constantly cleaning up viruses. Also, set your virus scanner to scan at least 3 levels deep on zip files. By the time you get to the second level, you should be clued in that this isn't a happy file...

It's rare that someone will send you a virus intentionally. Most of the time they're spread, they're done so without the true senders knowledge, who may not even know he has a virus until a week later.

20. uglychevyZZ4

Thanks guys, ---but.......... i cant believe that i got like 5 in one hour, and thats really unbelieveable /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif it just seemd odd and hard to believe since i have only got 1 in the last year, and norton stops all of them thank gawd /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif