Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Purrs like a kitten with the hiccups

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by limey, Mar 10, 2003.

1. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

Rebuilt the top end of the 350, rebuild the TH350. got it all back together (thanks to yall) it’s the smoothest running engine I have had but every now and again it pops oust of the passenger side bank and there is a little white smoke (I think is from the occasional pop.
    Wont pop every time but every now and again but always out the same bank. I was wondering if I maybe would have set one of the lifters a little to hard and it doesn’t always seat properly. But I had some one tell me I was out 180* on my distributor. But I did now think it would run at all it it was 180 out because it would be firing on the exaust stroke. Any one else have a idea
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

second thought

just sitting here thinking about it ill bet me a dollar that it is a valve. my figuring is the hydraulic lifter would give enough cushion that it wont do it all the time. so i think ill pull the plugs one at a time to we which one it is but how do i figure when it is tdc on the compression stroke to set it ?

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Take off your valve cover on that side and run the engine just cover some other stuff around it cause if you rev it at all it will get messy quick that should give you a better idea of whats going on I have seen engines run 180 off but its not just a hiccup you know something is wrong! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

I always adjust my valves with the engine running. Its the only way to get close to zero lash with a hydrallic lifter. Go to your local jusk yard or engine machine shop and get an old busted up valve cover. Then cut out a slot throught the center just big enough to fit a 5/8" socket in there. Whenever you adjust the valves, put that valve cover on and snug it down (I have a valve cover gasket Hi-tacked onto it) than go to town... Loosen up each rocker arm until it clatter just a little bit, then slowly snug it up till it quits... Then you can either leave it, or go in however much your little heart desires...

Of course you could do this to two valve covers. Then when you're done, just duct tape over the slots /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

i went and talked to my old man last night and he said to set them running as well. He gave me some little clips to put on to stop them making a big mess. I couldnt get to it last night like i had planned my fiance came to see my creation and two blocks away her tranny decided to quit. I dont know about yall but i think the pros are gong to work on a mazda MX-6.so hopefully tonight.thanks Jonathan