Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

push button Ignition??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smprider112, Sep 2, 2004.

1. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

Ok so my ignition switch is pretty craptastic ( I have to turn it slowly until it triggers the starter...just to start it) So I bought a pushbutton style Im gonna mount on the dash...now my question is how? what wires from the ignition trigger the starter? and how do I get to them? (pull the steering wheel /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif) Also Im gonna make this so u have to use the key to turn the igniton on, then just push the button to trigger the starter (so someone cant just hop in it and steal it /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif) anyways any help on this would rock /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i'm thinking of push button also, but have a hidden kill switch, or 2 switches, located seperately, eliminate the keys all together.. lol maybe not, but something like that

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Purple runs to the starter . It needs to momentarily touch red to work . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yep, plus pink needs to touch red for everything else to work and for it to fire up, but thats what the ingnition switch is for /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. smprider112

ok so now how do I GET TOO the wires and since my button has 2 posts...one goes to purple the other to red? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yep one to purple, the other to red. just cut them off at the switch and run them up to the button.

the switch is mounted ontop of the column.

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

On my old Jeep... just put the key in the on position, then push the button that was wired directly from the batterty and from the starter. Simple. Still needed the key to make it run, but not start.
    The ignition was gummed up with mud, so it was near impossible to turn the ignition to the start position without some channel locks or something. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I run mine the same way just a hot from the battery to the switch then to the selinoid on the starter still need the key on but no messing with the wires in the column. Works every time now did it the same way on my buddies toyota.

9. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I ran mine from the distibution block and to the starter, worked like a charm, dont wast time hacking a harness since you may want to undue this in the future..or the next owner /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. smprider112

thats what I was thinkin, is just run it directly to the starter instead...but wasnt sure if that would work (plus its easier...cuz im lazy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

It'll work. I personally never hack into the existing wiring because you never know if you're going to have to undo anything.

I'll tell you this though..you can pick up a brand new ign. switch with a key for about $10. You can install it in less than 1/2 hr if you have the right tools (I do /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif). If you really want to go push button, cool. If you're just wanting a cheap and easy way to fix it, then a new switch & key is my vote. I guarantee I can swap out your ign. switch faster than you can install a push button and run the wires. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. smprider112

[ QUOTE ]
    It'll work. I personally never hack into the existing wiring because you never know if you're going to have to undo anything.

I'll tell you this though..you can pick up a brand new ign. switch with a key for about $10. You can install it in less than 1/2 hr if you have the right tools (I do /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif). If you really want to go push button, cool. If you're just wanting a cheap and easy way to fix it, then a new switch & key is my vote. I guarantee I can swap out your ign. switch faster than you can install a push button and run the wires. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

YA SURE....NOW you tell me... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I allready bought the pushbutton switch for like 8 bucks /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif ohh well the "COOL" effect should be worth it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

lemem get this straight...

pink wire to red
    tap purple wire on red?

car goes vrooom

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

if you want to elemanate the key altogeather put a small push botum ant the base of the stering colume and paint it black so you don't see it. i have done it on a buddys car when the ign went for a crap.
    doing it on mine when i rip out the daash. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I have pushbutton on my K5, a momentary and two toggles, but the wipers dont work, so I guess I need another toggle.........

16. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

I'd return the cool switch and get yer $8 back...hes right, a wheel puller and your home free (its just compressing that friggin spring and gettin the c'clip in that gives me hell) but I swapped out my entire steering column, swapped the lock/tumbler from the 'old' to the new....in a couple hours. There is a tool to compress that spring, but pft...