Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Push me in the right direction, engine dilemma

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by 70jimmy, Apr 13, 2007.

1. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Ok I have been putting together a 350 bored 40 over with comp cams extreme 4x4 cam, heads redone with screw in studs, has the old edelbrock 600 carb, performer manifold, blah blah.

Anyway engine is out, found timing gears were way off, no prob to correct and that is probably my bent pushrod problem. Ok so engine on stand and somebody tells me of a deal on another engine.

Running TBI 350 5.7 liter in a 94 suburban. Whole vehicle for $1000.00. Body pretty good, no grille but everything else there. I can gut it as much as I want and sell or scrap what I don't. Thing started right up sounds smooth and strong.

So stick with original plan and go carb and update to TBI later on that motor or just spend the money now and swap it all out of the suburban and sell what's left and my other engine?

2. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

My .02

Running TBI 350 5.7 liter in a 94 suburban. Whole vehicle for $1000.00. Body pretty good, no grille but everything else there. I can gut it as much as I want and sell or scrap what I don't. Thing started right up sounds smooth and strong.

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Are you willing to part with the other engine? I do think the TBI setup would be ideal for wheelin' and really just driving in general.

So I think the TBI motor is a better idea, but you know what you have wrapped up in the other motor.

4. 70jimmy

yep willing to part with the other engine no problem, just gotta find some buyers. Also thought about keeping it around for a project vehicle for the kid. Find some older chevy car and drop some beef under the hood.

SSHHHHHHH. No body tell the wife:wink1:

5. 70jimmy

Keep pushing almost there:o

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Buy the Burb, Duane. That way the Bomb will spend ANOTHER 6 months in the garage.:D

You already have some coin invested in the engine you have, so I would at lest finish it, and see how I like it. If you can afford to, buy the Burb, and just let it sit for now.

7. bbck5on37s

bbck5on37s 1/2 ton status

Burb!!!

8. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

How bout you buy the Burb and drive it if it's in as nice a condition as you say?

9. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What are you waiting on? Get the CB running so we can go do some exploring. In my dailey travels I have seen several places I want to check out. We can finish what we started last weekend, taking the Rim Road up onto the Uncompahgre Plateau. There is the Transfer Road up onto the UP and over to Nucla. The list just goes on and on. With the TBI you won't have the stall out problems you were with carb. Easy starting is always a huge plus. I keep seeing all sorts of muscle car possiblites for Devin. Come on my friend lets go wheelin'! :) ;) :)

fred2mihi

10. 70jimmy

Ok that's it TBI here we come. Thanks guys!!!

Hmmm then what to do with the other motor. Well cherry bomb first.