Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pushbutton 4x4 help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Drey, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I know this should go in the S series forum but its pretty much dead for help so. Last night I pushed the 4 hi button it worked just fine, but then i went to go back to 2hi and i fought it for about half a mile, drove it back home in 4 hi, pulled the fuse to see if that was the problem, it was fine. So I pulled the switch out of the dash unpugged it and plugged it back in the 4hi and 4 lo lights both blinked a bunch of times and then it was in 2hi so i hurried up and backed up and disengaged everything. Today I just went to see if anything would work, NOTHING I cant go from 2 hi to anything. The fuse in the dash is fine.

Also the bulb for the 2hi button is burned out so i dont know if it would of flashed when the other ones did too, if that makes a difference.

Anyhelp would be great guys its been raining here two days and ive got the itch for some muddin but I dont wanna get this thing stuck in 4hi and have to drive it around that way.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I seem to recall that some GM trucks had a thermal actuator for the front axle which is famous for failing. In fact, the *dealers* now sell a kit to fix it -- I forget whether it's manual or electro-mechanical or what.

Mind you, I think that was fullsizes and not little trucks, but it's a thought.

-- A

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I think the S-10 trucks have a vaccum switch thing that commonly goes bad. Im cant remember if they are on your body style but I know they are on the first body style ones

4. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

yeah, s10s have 2 things that are common, the vacuum switch on the t-case fails, or the vacuum actuator mounted under the battery(has a cable, goes to the axle) fails(batt acid, cable breaks, ect.)

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Ya its gotta be one of them too, I tryed the thing that the manual suggested. Putting it in neutral, hitting 4hi and then going to park quick, for when the Shifter is out of adjustment but that didnt work.

6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the S series. But I would think if the actuator went out, it would go back into 2wd if it was in 4wd.

the problem mentioned on the fullsize is commonly the actuator, the thermal one that is. The common fix is either to swap over to the later electric actuated, or get the manual POSI-LOCK (brand name) and install it.

Is there a solanoid that works off the button? Perhaps it's bad?

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Not sure on the silonoid idea, but I was able to get it out of 4x4 the first time it was acting up on me. The Manual Posi Lock...Does that Mean I get a floor lever shifter?

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

It actually a pull handle. I guess you can mount it where you want. Not sure I'd call it a lever.. but it's been a while since I looked at it. I think if yo looked on th enet for it, it shows a pic of the "kit".