Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pushed in Bumpers -- Is there a home fix?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2LTrailblazer84, Sep 2, 2005.

1. 6.2LTrailblazer84

6.2LTrailblazer84 1/2 ton status

I have noticed an epidemic of sorts. I have noticed there are A LOT of Blazers out there with my Blazer's problem -- seems like everyone has one end of their bumper pushed in a bit. Just enough to be noticeable.

I am wondering if there is some way to possibly pull these ends out to even the bumpers again. Or is the only way to do it to take your truck to a body shop and have them put it on a rack or something? And if so, how much might that coast? Anyone know?

If you put an aftermarket bumper on will it help or would it be crooked as well because the mount is pushed in?

2. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Tie it to a big tree and back up. That works for me. My bumpers are all messed up now. But I will tie them to a tree again and then finish them off with a block of wood and a BFH. :D

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The mount is either the frame -- which if it's pushed in, is baaaaaaad -- or the outside bracket thing, which would be amazing to bend... but should be easy to find a good one, at a wrecking yard or from a member here (I might have one or two :haha: )

As for straightening them, you could do it with a winch and a buddy's truck, tree, whatever ... but I can't imagine it would look any better. Even a junkyard bumper seems like it'd be cheaper/easier. I seem to recall that LMC gets $150 for new ones, if you're that worried about it.

-- A

4. 6.2LTrailblazer84

well that would be good if it was just a little bracket.. I will have to look at it more closely.

My fender is a little dented too.. but I don't know if the structure underneath was pushed out of whack though.

5. 6.2LTrailblazer84

Tie it to a big tree and back up. That works for me. My bumpers are all messed up now. But I will tie them to a tree again and then finish them off with a block of wood and a BFH.

:haha:

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yeah, take a look and maybe post pix ... depending on year and whether it's front or rear, the mounting changes a bit. Basically, though, it's either the frame or the bracket, and it's all 1/2" carriage bolts, pretty easy stuff.

-- A

7. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Ya my fender is bashed too. I struck a car on one side doing 60km/h. The car was dead. A new Mazda Protege. I beat on it like it owed me money and it looked good after.

8. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

Bumper

I used to deliver furniture in large bobtail trucks. I messed up once and tried to turn a corner that resulted in a bumper bent back so far as to rub the tire. We turned the bumper inside out, bolted it down and pushed against a concrete filled safety stand, like at gas stations. Bumper was then reversed to original, and all was cool. If your mount bracket, or frame is bent, then it would be best to pull it out. Good Luck!

9. 6.2LTrailblazer84

Yeah, take a look and maybe post pix ... depending on year and whether it's front or rear, the mounting changes a bit. Basically, though, it's either the frame or the bracket, and it's all 1/2" carriage bolts, pretty easy stuff.

I have a digital camera I'll take some pics tomorrow and post em. Does the bracket go right to the frame? Or is there other sheetmetal that can get smooshed too? That's what I'm worried about.

Ya my fender is bashed too. I struck a car on one side doing 60km/h. The car was dead. A new Mazda Protege. I beat on it like it owed me money and it looked good after.

I was pulling out from the back area of a house into a small alley and some girl was flying by and when she saw me she sped up rather than stopping and destroyed one whole side of here car... my bumper was barely pushed in. it was pretty comical. I'll try lending my bumper some money and then put it in the hurt locker. :haha:

10. 6.2LTrailblazer84

We turned the bumper inside out, bolted it down and pushed against a concrete filled safety stand

That was clever! I'm impressed! :bow:

I think the bumpers is pretty straight though.. I think it was the bracket that got the worst of it. I will keep that one in mind though that is for sure. :D

11. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Mine is the same way. The passenger side corner of the front bumper is bent back and when it happened it put a crease in the fender just in front of the side marker light. On mine the bracket isn't even bent it is just at the corner right where the bumper normally curves back and it just bent tighter than the factory bend. I could pull it out but it isn't bad enough to worry about and doesn't touch the fender. Infact I wouldn't even know about except for the little crinkle on top and bottom and crease in the fender. It can be fixed by a body shop but I'm not sure if it would be worth the money.

12. 6.2LTrailblazer84

Yours sounds almost identical to mine, 77CrewCab. Probably the same girl! :laugh:

One of my highbeam headlights did get smashed though. And some chrome trim ripped off.

13. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Nah it was a Peterbuilt :doah: The PO runs a semi truck repair shop and had one of the shop hands back out into to the truck while we were sitting in it after my test drive. Knock $200 off right away for a ding I don't really care about :D

14. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

new bumper mounts are cheap if you're that worried. LMC truck has the inners for $11 and the outers for $13 that was for my 95 chev anyhow