Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pushing the Limits of TBI

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by nvrenuf, Jul 15, 2006.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have a OE 454 throttle body & computer, like most I'm interested in more power... Where is the best place / person to contact to find out how much camshaft this will support? Injector upgrades? "Custom" PROM's?

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Try http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/ they are a vendor here on Ck5. They have most all you need. they burn chips and stuff. Mark the guy who ownes it posts here under the name eagle mark. PM him.

3. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the pimp Thunder but we aren't doing just chips for awhile, just don't have time. This may change in time.

Here's some guidelines for Speed/Density type EFI, this is only guidelines, they go up with more cubic inch and down a bit for smaller. After these guidelines it starts to effect vacuum readings which are key to MAP sensor.
    Maximum duration of 214o intake duration @ .050" and 224o exhaust duration @ .050"

Telling us some specs on your motor may help too...

4. nvrenuf

It's a 454 - 8.5:1, early 781 casting heads (no add'l work), 750 Holley, headers w/ Edelbrock Performer intake. I have a stock 454 throttle body from a 90 V3500 and harness, computer and distributor from an 88 V30 that I would like to use to convert it to efi.

Since the throttle body needs to be rebuilt and the current cam is definitely too big (.533, 226 @ .050, 108 lobe sep) I might as well go for the gusto. :D

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There is some great 454 tech info available in the forums over at http://www.454ss.com/ Lots of folks that know what works and what doesn't, as well as some VERY bada$$ rides. :thumb:

6. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You could also check Thirdgen.org they have alot of info on Tbi stuff.

7. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

Now see I told you they were guidlines and with bigger engine they go up so you should be OK here. Also if you have us rebuild your TBI unit we can add a chip. We've just stopped chips alone as they take a lot of time and tech support for some. especailly the home made conversions...

8. nvrenuf

I'm fairly illiterate about the limitations of stock stuff so please bare with me...

How feasible would it be to run my current cam with TBI?

Could my TB in rebuilt stock for support this? If not, what improvements should I make (do they make bigger injectors, etc)?