Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pushrod cleaning?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Feb 4, 2007.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I'm swapping cams while I have the motor out on my sixpack; motor's a 454, allegedly ~50K miles.

I see the pushrods have marks or stains on them ... like from heat, more than actual mechanical wear. I haven't mic'd them, but there's no damage to be felt by the fingers, anyway.

Sooo ... do I lightly sand them or hit them with an emory cloth or chemically treat them or anything to get rid of the striping, or is that normal and I'm worrying too much and I should just drop them in?

Pic: http://www.slosh.com/ck5/big-block-teardown-5.JPG

-- A

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

if the marking you are seeing is more of a discoloration, drop them in and run 'em. EDit, Oh I see the pic, run 'em! Make sure they are clean inside and flowing free!

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can wash them with kerosene, laquer thinner, or even gasoline. Just make sure you install the pushrods in the correct positions. There are long and short pushrods. Also make sure they are STRAIGHT and CLEAN. Roll them on a piece of glass to check for straightness then look through them to make sure they are clean.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yeah, what that pic doesn't show is they are CAREFULLY laid out front to rear, left and right sets. The book made that painfully clear, and it looked like there was at least two different sizes of pushrods so I was careful not to mess with the order.

Thanks all!

-- A

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No need to keep them in order. Just need to make sure they go back in the correct position of long or short and that they're clean and straight.