Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Put a new TBI on.......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Trigger, May 26, 2003.

1. Trigger

Trigger Registered Member

and it seems to be running somewhat fine. It was idling high, alot of black smoke and when you put it in gear and gave it gas it would die. I've replaced the TBI, plugs, cap, rotor, map sensor, coolant sensor and all the vac lines. I actually drove it around the block a couple of times and ran ok, the only thing is the TBI I got isnt the exact same as the one I took off. The original has a return spring for the throttle and the new one doesn't, so I've got to buy a return spring for it. It will stay at a high idle sometimes. But overall I'm happy so far.

Now my next project is the transmission. There is no park gear in it at all. When I put it in park you can push it with ease. Guess I'm gonna have to take the pan off to see what happened.

For those of you don't know I bought this Blazer 88 K5, new shocks, hubs, wiring harness, new 33x12.50x15 Dunlops, body in pretty good shape for $500 from the guy down the street. I've only put $200 in it so far and still counting.

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

if it's rolling in park, then your linkage is probably not engaging your park pin all the way, that or there isn't one at all.

3. Trigger

That's what I was thinking.

My engine doesnt idle very well. Do you guys think maybe the o2 sensor might have something to do with it?

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

That or your EGR valve. I dont remember how to check the EGR bt when mine went bad it sonded like my old Chevelle with a Cam

5. Trigger

Mine does sound like it's got a lope to it. I think the IAC was the problem, so if you know of anyone who needs a TBI I've got one they can buy.

I'm going to have to check around for a EGR valve. Orielly's wants $50 for one and that's a little too high for me right now.

6. gumneck

gumneck Registered Member

Dont know if you've already checked or not. But make sure the small line running to the EGR valve isn't hanging off or cracked up. If its off it will idle high and generally run like crap. Also, you can check the egr valve yourself by removing the bolts on it a press in on the valve with your thumb. It should move in out without sticking. When I got my 91 K-5 last December, the guy I bought it from said it ran perfect. When I got it, it had more black smoke than a coal fired locamotive. Replaced the egr valve with a new one and problem solved.

good luck,
    Tom

7. Trigger,
    I have an EGR valve off my 89 K5 that I'd sell you. I bought a new one thinking that was my driveability problem, but it wasn't. Anyway, is your TBI factory? How much do you want for it? Maybe we can work out some kind of trade. Let me know.

Thanks,
    Doug