Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Put on power steering pump today

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Nov 5, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I blew my PS pump the other day 'wheelin and I put the new one on today. That thing took forever to get out and put in. I broke AutoZone's pulley puller but they didn't notice. The bolt just twisted in half. Does anyone know how to change the fluid in the gearbox without unbolting it and dumping the old fluid out? thanks

90K5

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

You can do this several ways, one is to disconnect the drain hose (the one with clamps) and put it into a bucket. Disconnect it at the pump and put a cap on the pump tube or you'll have the contents of the resivoir on the floor. Then spin the pump freehand or use a drill with a bolt in the chuck and the fan belt to run the pump only, I used the pump belt before I hooked it back up. You will need to stop now and then to refill the resivoir. You can do this while turning the motor over and just as it starts shut it off (this is tricky and sometimes messy). It doesnt take long to drain the resivoir. Another way is with a vacuum pump hooked up to the drain side. Pump it until it flows clean. Either way, some of the crud that is built up in the box is stuck there and won't come out.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Sorry I meant the steering box, not the resourvior.

90K5

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

That's what I was referring to was the box but using the fluid in the reservoir to keep air out of the system and as a flushing agent. Keep the pressure line hooked up to the box and put the drain line coming from the box into the bucket to catch the old fluid.