Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Put the Softtop on Easter weekend.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zepplin, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I lucked out and found a soft top from Kayline and I put it on this weekend. I bought it back in February. It makes my Blazer look alot different. I went from a white hard top to a black soft top and it looks better with the soft top. I also put in a pickup tailgate in place of the old one. The back end has all the holes and nuts already there and I just had to transfer the hardware and it fit right in. It was kind of rusty back there and I had to re-enforce the brackets with some washers.

I am also waiting on my pistons to finish up my 496 short block. I probably won't have it in until next
    year because I need to find a beefier tranny and transfer case first.

I just thought I would share some of the mods I got to finish up last weekend.
    I will try to post some pictures soon.

74 Blazer
    Kashmir
    Zepplin

2. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

You suck! I want a soft top soooo bad right now!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/>http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/</A>

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Excellent[​IMG]. Glad to hear it. I took the top off last week, and have been driving around convertable in the nice sunny Arizona weather we've been having......

How did you get the tailgate from a truck on there? I'm only familiar with the 80 up pickups with the pivots in the bedside, as opposed to the hinge brackets on the frame.

[​IMG]

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Ooops, nevermind, I just re-read the post, and looked at the K5, now I get it [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

On my 74 there were already holes and nuts welded on the inside for all the tailgate hardware. Some of my sides were rusty so I had to take out the tail lights and put some washers and some new nuts on the inside. I just tightened everything down, bolted on the hinges and the tailgate fit right in. I elimanated all the old Blazer tailgate hinges as well as the window. I probably shaved off about 20 pounds or so by just replacing the tailgate.

Its a little cold this week for some reason but hopefully by next week I can fold the top back and enjoy the sunshine!

74 Blazer
    Kashmir
    Zepplin