Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

puter guru's help?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyfumes, Jan 20, 2002.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

puter guru\'s help?

I just installed a new disc drive and it works as far as spinning the disc but nothing comes up on the screen and I've rebooted the computer. So whats up anyone know?

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Re: puter guru\'s help?

You might just have the power installed and it spins because it knows there's a disk in there but it can't read anything because it's drives are not installed correctly..... try reinstalling the software that came with it and see what happens....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    Stop Global Whining
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It came with a floppy for install but said I didn't need it for windows 98, that it will recognize it by itself...As far as hooking it up in back I unplugged three sets of wires and put them back in just like I took em' outta the old one...

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

4. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

What sort of drive is it? Make, model, type of media it uses, interface (IDE/SCSI, USB, etc) and other info is needed.
    Also of importance if it's a hard drive is what size it is. Some computers don't play nice with bigger drives... The more info you can get us about this the better.

Tim<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by The_Sandman_454 on 01/20/02 06:52 PM.</FONT></P>

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It's fixed, the wife took care of it, thanks though guy's....

6. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

What kind of disk drive? Hard drive, CD-ROM, ...?
    Also, what kind of controller IDE, SCSI? (if you don't know it is probably IDE)

There are three places on the IDE cable to plug in. One end is to the board the other end is to a drive. And the middle is to a drive.

It does matter which of the two drive plugs you use. One is for the master and the other is for the slave. I never get it right which is which though. Also the jumper on the drive might be wrong.

<font color=blue>Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.