Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'puter HDD questions, freezing up ? please read if you have the time to th

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Jul 9, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

\'puter HDD questions, freezing up ? please read if you have the time to th

ok puter gurus: i gotta HDD Q:

friend of mine's puter on this network in here has had a freezing lockup problem for a few months, otherwise it boots up and runs fine,

it will freeze if it is running the screensaver and/or at idle time AND/OR even if it is running an internet game program at idle or not- it doesnt matter what its doing it will lockup anyways when it wants to/so chooses to- totally at random and it pisses him off cuz hten he has to improperly shut down system every time and its a few times a day or more usually that it does this to him

the screen doesnt disappear it just freezes, no errors no nothing, have to hold down power button on tower to reboot until it locks up again,

i went and deleted partition(NTFS) and reinstalled a new primary active NTFS partition 100% and installed OEM fresh copy of XP windows just like it had on it before, did all this last night, it still will freeze occasionally,

even though operating system is completely instaleld and copied and all it will pop up missing operating system error line message at boot up every once in a while, last night after operating system install the HDd was making bad scraping noiseas and such did not sound good but it continued to run good anyways, it quit making the noise after a reboot, but still the system locks up sometimes like just now,

i cannot rule out screwed up HDD, how could i rule that out or in ? nothing else seems like could be bad or not working right AND cause this kind of a problem

what do you puter guys think ?
    we have had alot of small older HDD's die around here a few months ago, are four puters on this LAN DSL setup in this room. linksys router or box or whatever.

thanks for anything and for your time, hoping to ifnally solve this problem for him

thanks

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: \'puter HDD questions, freezing up ? please read if you have the time to th

Well, to me, it sounds like the harddrive is starting to crash. Same similar thing happened to me on my daughters computer, fought with it for a couple weeks, finally just out of disgust, replace the HD and its been working perfect ever since. So in my opinion, its the harddrive.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I've found that lockups are usually caused more by bad processors, memory, or MoBos then bad HDs. a bad HD will usually cause a blue screen or a complete failure to boot. </font>

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    how could i rule that out or in ?

[/ QUOTE ] try another hard drive if it stop's you know it was the hard drive if not you know you have another problem

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

First get rid of the screen saver and see if that does anything. If that doesn't fix it get a new HD installed. Hope your files are backed up... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

being that all these puters are on LAN we simply move important files over to the shared network onto someone else HDD, pretty easy...

ill try no screen saver, but how d you explain freezeups when is not in screen saver mode ??? will freeze up whether it asin that or not, it can be fresh rebooted and nothing started cept windows and freesze up if you leave it alone long enough, even if programs are started, it makes no difference, it will freeze randomly

cant see how it couldnt be HDD screwing up ? cant a HDD freeze up when its reading, cant it get stuck on a point or whatever ?

thanks so far

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    cant see how it couldnt be HDD screwing up ? cant a HDD freeze up when its reading, cant it get stuck on a point or whatever ?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes it can, i'd throw another HD in there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

another thing to try is set it so it has no screen saver and also go to the power profile and make it so it never goes into sleep mode or never shuts the hard drive down turn off all the power saver options

9. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I must disagree. My first step would be to replace the processor fan. Locking up to me sounds like the processor is heating up to the point that it skips tasks, aka freezes. Those scraping noises could very well be the fan calling it quits.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

he has two fans int he case, the one on the processor heat sink is spinng fast and good, blowing good air volume over the fins of the heatsink, so hmm...

other fan is alot bigger and in the front of the tower case.

hmmm

what else ?

thanks

11. dysphemism

Is his processor temp within normal operating specs? A broken fan will still spin, your eye won't be able to tell the diff between 1000 and 3000 rpms. I had a problem very similar to yours, reformatted, new hdd, etc, problem was still there. Tried a new fan just for the hell of it, fixed. The noises sounded like hdd noises but were really my fan.

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Is his processor temp within normal operating specs? A broken fan will still spin, your eye won't be able to tell the diff between 1000 and 3000 rpms. I had a problem very similar to yours, reformatted, new hdd, etc, problem was still there. Tried a new fan just for the hell of it, fixed. The noises sounded like hdd noises but were really my fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, cool, thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

his processor heat sink has alot of dust on it, we are gonna blast it out with compressed air in a bit and try that,
    i just wonder about if damage has already been done from too much heat- if thats the cause-

hmmm..
    worth a try anyways.,.

i ahve no clue what temp, i have no way to tell how do you tell temp inside cabinet on XP system ?

thanks

13. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ill try no screen saver, but how d you explain freezeups when is not in screen saver mode ???

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a problem that I used to have and disabling the screen saver fixed it. But if you have grinding noises you have a hardware problem. CPU fan or the HD... Screen savers do a lot of goofy things... They are in operation all the time. Every time your mouse stops moving the countdown begins. You just don't see the screen saver actuated till the countdown reaches 0...

14. dysphemism

to check the temp, there are 2 ways. Easiest, go into bios setup. Start the computer, keep hitting the delete key until you go into bios. each bios is diff., but look for something along the lines of system, system temp, cpu temp, etc. Most bios' will be able to tell you the CPU temp. My athlon runs at 108* F consistently. Some people run up to 170*. Second way is to download a program that can monitor it for you in windows. I have one of these also, called PC Alert 3. Not sure if you can download it for free or not, mine came on a disk. Your processor shouldn't be permanently damaged, the fact that it is freezing is actually good for the processor, it cuts itself off before damage is done.

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

just had a error box pop up as he was exiting an online MSN game, graphic glitching out all over the place, GE force 4 video card, he has to download drivers and such from online to make the card work right and its not yet, it only runs 800x600 and wont run any larger setting than that, but it would before we replaced operating system last night

the erro box was titled:
    client.exe- application error

and had following message below the title bar:

the instruction at 0x734bbcca referenced memory at "0x00000037". the memory could not be read

he is downloading a newer driver and uninstalling the one he downloaded last night after operating system replacemernt/installation

what you think ?

thanks

no freeze yet after cleaning out tower with compressed air

thanks

16. dysphemism

Tell him to get the newest drivers directly off of the nvidia site. They are universal and work for all nvidia cards. Make sure he has updated his directx, if you just reinstalled the OS, then the directx will be an older version. Current version is 9.xx. If it is not an illegal copy of windows, run the update manager and get it up to speed again. Make sure that the processor also is not running overclocked, which it probably isn't.

17. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Tell him to get the newest drivers directly off of the nvidia site. They are universal and work for all nvidia cards. Make sure he has updated his directx, if you just reinstalled the OS, then the directx will be an older version. Current version is 9.xx. If it is not an illegal copy of windows, run the update manager and get it up to speed again. Make sure that the processor also is not running overclocked, which it probably isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

welp, he has downloaded nvidia updates from nvidia site he always has used that site to download them, and all windows updates are downooaded thats first thing we do after reinstalling OS

so hmm....

any more ideas ?

thanks

18. dysphemism

If directx is up to date and the drivers for the video card are installed, then I can't think of a reason why it would still not work properly. If you open a window and then either drag it across the screen quickly or scroll down it quickly, does the video card keep up, or is there a lot of lag? If it lags, then the drivers are not functioning properly, or directx isnt functioning properly.

19. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had problems with a matrox dual head video card overheating and causing lockups and error messages. I don't know if the card was defective or if there was inadequate air flow, I just replaced it and that solved my problems.

20. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

no lag with mouse pointer, nope, only missing trashed graphics in the online RPG game by MSN, also he cant run in anything cept 800x600 he cant run anything else better than that with game now or it severely screws up royally, , never had the problem before OS replacement the other night

i have a feeling his vid card is screwy now, its GEforce 4 mx420, does anyone know any issues with this model of card ? its 64mb card, i have a first series old 8mb card and it works fine, its about 3 years old or little more actually,. is stock card from gateway, is nvidia card also like his is, just old oold version.

but still the original problem i posted about was system freeze up alot especialyl in game and on screen saver..
    it hasnt frozen in 24 hours or so now, which is long time for it to not have frozen ! i am surprised, this is after compressed air cleaning session of the complete tower, it was nasty dirty on heatsink for processor and in power supply ! i didnt know which way the fan is supposed to blow- towards heatsink or away from it ? anyone know ?
    it can go either way its just a common A socket square black plastic fan only like 2x2" size or so.

otherwise puter runs fine so far now after cleaning and other than the now new graphics problem.....

thanks