Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Puter help please!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddin4fun, Jun 15, 2002.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I'm running Windows 98 SE

My computer has been locking up lately and giving me "not enough memory, close out one program and try again" and sometimes closing out a program works and rarely I have to reboot it. Well, now defrag tells me I have errors on the hard drive and need to run scan disk. Mkay...so I go to run scan disk in windows. It tells me something like "fron" or something to that effect is missing (it's spelled similar). /forums/images/icons/confused.gif Now, scandisk just locks up. So, I go to run it in dos....nothing. The curser moves down a few lines and that's it...just sits there blinking. So, I decide I should back up the computer (even though it's got errors) just in case. I back it up and it told me I have errors on the hard drive. Can anyone help me?

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I think your hard drive is toast!

Make sure you do as much of a virus scan as you can. Also, make sure you have as much memory as you have free on the hard disk (I.E., 128 Mb ram, keep 128 Mb free on the hard drive). Low drive space can cause the program problems, and also slow down the drives ability to relocate data from bad sectors.
    I'd be a little skeptical on the possibity of a virus since you're having trouble in dos, but it's still possible.

I would back everything up and format, then scandisk it (all in dos). If it spends a lot of time during the format "trying to reallocate ____" or "trying to recover ____", the hard drive is pretty likely gone.

If you're computer is standard issue with no special boot loaders or special stuff for over 8Gb support, I'd also try fdisk /mbr (rewrites the master boot record), although viruses can still sometimes get past that.

All I can think of right now!! Try to get the name of that file it's missing!

3. muddin4fun

but it's a brand new hard drive /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Sharp jarring? I've had drives bad out of the box, it's not that uncommon.

It wouldn't happen to be an IBM Death(desk)Star, would it? I have zero faith in those drives after I had a dozen go bad out of 14 shortly after they were set up and run...

5. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I think I would be running around pulling my hair out. At least you have everything backed up. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Do you have a warrenty on the hard drive?

6. muddin4fun

no, it's not an IBM deathstar. I've had the HD for..hmm...inbetween 6 mo and a year? It's a 20 G...it's supposed to be a good one.
    I'm running a virus scan right now. So far it hasn't come up with anything. I've got 7 items quarrentined, but it didn't have the definitions or something so it knew how to repair the files. Could that cause something?

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Are you running the most current defs available? If not, with stuff quarntined, I'd more liekly suspect a virus. Would it happen to be a Dell? I think if you boot it and hit ctrl-d at the logo screen, it'll test the hard drive for you. Little tricks keep coming back as I type...

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

After you get it back and running do a defrag on the hard drive, that should help speed it up a lot and maybe help the memory problems

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Try running a recovery program. you'll loose all your data, but it's no different then starting over with a new hard drive. It'll reset everything to the factory settings. On my computer, you would press F11 as soon as ya reboot, and follow the on screen instructions. I've had to do it a couple of times to get rid of viruses.

10. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

PM me if you want me to send you a copy of Spinrite. It performs a detailed diagnostic on a HDD. I have had situations where scandisk would crap out but this would run flawlessly. On the downside it takes about a day to run. I think the file is only like 5 MB so it shouldn't take long to receive.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

How'd it go? Bad sectors or software troubles?

12. muddin4fun

Don't know yet. I'm hopping it's just errors on the hard drive but I dunno. I'm waiting for that thing from mudfrog

13. muddin4fun

Update:

I booted it up in safe mode and ran scandisk. And it ran! and it ran, and it ran...I started it like 5pm and it was still going when I went to bed at 10pm. So, this morning, I flip the screen on and it gives me it's little report. It had found errors and was able to fix them all. So...hmmm...I wonder if it fixed it? Most of the problems I was having it would come up and say there were errors. So, I started it on defrag and left for work. I'll let you know if I have a happy puter when I get home /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. Sinful_Nature

Sinful_Nature Registered Member

I was going to ask if you tried in Safe Mode. The other thing to look at:

I'm an IT(Network) Manager for a company that has about 120 Win 98 systems, usually the fix to the "Out of Memory" error is driver updates. Make sure all your Drives are up to date (Modem, NIC Card, Video and any other drivers you may have installed).

Also- Once you have it running hit the Microsoft for Operating System updates, here's the addie... Okay so they have changed it since I've last been there. Need to look at the Address Closer, let me know if you interested.

Either PM or email me at rcook@bartleyrf.com if you need anymore info.

~ Russ