Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

puter people, click here if you will.......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gotmud?, Dec 18, 2002.

1. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

My sister just gave my dad her old puter, but he say's it stick's on the "start-up" screen, then has to boot in "safe mode" and it does'nt see the monitor or the cd rom drive /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'm going up there Sun. Where do I start?? Should I just try to RE-format the drive? Can I boot from a win 98 CD? Thank's for any help....

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Sounds like something is screwed up in the boot sector of the harddrive, me personally, I'd just format the drive and start over fresh.

3. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

You can also try running scandisk after it starts in safe mode. Do the surface scan as well... or... just reformat/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah, just start over. And yes you can boot from a 98 CD. It should give you the options to format the drive before an install also. "Should" be a pretty painless deal. Good luck with it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

When it only goes into safe mode, it is either a network problem or a video problem. If you have no network, than you have a video problem.

Good luck.

6. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

Thank's for the info. Look's like I'll just re-format. probably will be much easier than trying to trouble-shoot.

7. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

I'm always for a good format and reload /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Before going into safe mode, try pressing F8 at the second post screen and select command prompt (I thinks its #5), then type "scanreg/restore" (w/o qoutes) then enter.
    There you can find a previous start up that actually booted. Other than video, it can sometimes be an issue/power irregularity with the motherboard. If you hang on reloading windows (w/ clean format) it's definetly hardware related.

8. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Wut you talkin' bout Willis???????