Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Puting seats in the bed of a truck ???s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pulser9, Jul 21, 2006.

1. pulser9

pulser9 Registered Member

Ok my buddy is buying a lifted 85 c10 or k10 and its only a regular cab. He heads down to the beach house alot to wit his girlfriend and his two friends but he wants to show off his truck down there but he can only drive him and one other. So he asked me if it would be posible and posible to be safe to put seats in the bed that come out when hes not drivin to the beach. So i told him we could probly find a way to mount them buting up to the cab faceing to the rear and i told him I would only feel safe doing this if he was willing to get a heavy duty roll bar behind the cab. I also sugjested that wed get 5 point seat belts. But then I thought the only way to realy mount them safely would be to atach them to the frame but i dont know how i would do that. Has anyone done this or have any advise on how we could to it?
    Thanks
    Kevin

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If he's in Jersey, better plan on many tickets... Pretty sure the cops frown on that bigtime....

3. pulser9

pulser9 Registered Member

yea were in hamilton NJ and we go down to LBI and Belmar. I dont see what they can do about it tho its just like riding in a convertable but even more safe because we will be using a sturdy rollbar.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

If you just want to be able to haul more people bolt a seat down and ride around. Use some common sense and don't do anything that even has a remote possibility of rolling the truck or throwing someone out of the bed...... If ya'll are planning on wheeling with 4 people constantly he should have bought a better suited rig

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, like I said, I'm pretty certain it's illegal... And they are cops, they can certainly make life difficult for someone, especially with someone who wants to argue the safety aspect of it on the side of the road...

And it's nothing like a convertible, trucks are not designed with the thought of passengers in the bed... Just because they have no roof over their head doesn't make it "just like"....

But if he insists on finding out the hardway, I don't see seatbelts to the frame as needed or smart... The bedfloor should be sufficient...

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

having prepped demolition derby trucks, and "converted convertibles" (car of similar make and model top welded to the body) i dont see how they're any different. they both hold up to impact extremely well. the seatbelts and the seat should be bolted on the same plane. if you go to the frame with the seat mounts, to the frame with the seatbelts. to the bed floor (sufficient) with the seat, to the bed floor with the belts. i would think that the rollbar would just be some added security. as long as he was being safe a normal pickup bed bar should be sufficient, and should definitely make the law happy if its legally questionable.

7. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I'm sure that some of you remember the Subaru Brat.