Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Puttin new Pipes on the truck... Should i have them Put an "H" pipe in ther

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Puttin new Pipes on the truck... Should i have them Put an \"H\" pipe in ther

title pretty much says it all... Thx.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: Puttin new Pipes on the truck... Should i have them Put an \"H\" pipe in

It balances the exhaust system. Too tired to get into details, but the exhaust pulses even out. It will queit it a bit too, but its all around better from a technical standpoint /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Re: Puttin new Pipes on the truck... Should i have them Put an \"H\" pipe in ther

You've seen(heard) my stuff.
    As soon as the engine is done I plan on that.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    It balances the exhaust system. Too tired to get into details, but the exhaust pulses even out. It will queit it a bit too, but its all around better from a technical standpoint /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about quieting the exhaust, they say it does but in my experience, I haven't noticed that.

It does sound much better though!

5. FWP

FWP CRS

Re: Puttin new Pipes on the truck... Should i have them Put an \"H\" pipe in ther

Yes and no IMHO, depends. I would do one on mine, but the rocks would eat it alive, and I want to be able to access the driveline on the trail without a pipe in my way.

6. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Quite a while ago I read an article in a magazine where they were testing different exhaust systems. All of the tests were done on a dyno using the same vehicle. They tested open headers, duals with an h-pipe, and duals without an h-pipe. The system that put out the most hp and torque was the full exhaust withOUT the h-pipe. I think that it depends a lot on the engine, pipe size, vehicle, etc...

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I would say it depends on how you are going to use the truck. If it's something that will see limited street time and mostly trails with low rpms..don't do it.
    Street driven mostly then I would consider it

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

It is my understanding that a X pipe is more effective than an H pipe.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, it makes it sound like a single exhaust system with dual out tips, you don't get the destinguished left and right bank sounds, you get all of them, so why not just save some weight and money and install a 2.5 or 3" single with dual out the muffler.

Makes more sense to me, less material to get damaged and out of the way.

10. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i just bought the mufflers im thinking of just doing true dual without that h pipe..I got 2-1/4" 50 series 3 chamber flows

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well I have straight duals on my trail rig and duals with a crossover on my tow rig.

The tow rig sounds soooooooo much better hands down. I'm almost inclined to say that I can't stand the way my trail rig sounds after driving my tow rig this week. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

H pipes dont help Chevys a whole lot. They do make them sound better though.
    H and X pipes do a lot more for 5.0 HO and 351 Winsor powered fords because of their fireing order. 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. With 3 plugs on one side firng after each other a X or H pipe balances exahust and reduces backpressure.

Chevys firing order is more balanced 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 so you dont see gains with a H or X pipe like you do with Fords. So they really aren't needed for performance.

13. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Good answer. How significant are the gains with complete dual exhaust vs. headers into single 3" exhaust? I would like to eliminate the pass. crossover pipe from pass. side to driver side collector.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is absoultely no benefit to duals instead of a 3" single. Both are equally efficient. In fact, a 3" single is likely to be more efficient.

I run duals just because they're easy to install and I didn't have to pay someone to bend them.

15. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    true dual without that h pipe..I got 2-1/4" 50 series 3 chamber flows

[/ QUOTE ] This is what I
    m running on mine right now. Mine is a '78 that came stock with this from the factory (without CAT's) so I went with dual 2-1/4" that are dumped right behind the rear tires, Flowmaster 50 series. I'm very happy with this set up..... Some times I wish I would have gone with a quieter muffler, but oh well......