Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Putting a 14FF in a '96 GMC

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Masher, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

Putting a 14FF in a \'96 GMC

I am going to put a 14 bolt in my '96 GMC and have a few questions. When I do it I am going to also install ORD's shackle flip and new 4" springs for about 8" of lift. WHat needs to be done with the driveshaft to be able to hook it up?? Will I even be able to use the stock one? The axle also has disc brakes, other than longer brake lines what do I need. Will the stock master cylinder work for this? What about ABS, I know it has it on the front but I'm pretty sure there is none in the rear, is that right?? Am I missing anything else??

Thanks.

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Re: Putting a 14FF in a \'96 GMC

it was my understanding that these newer trucks had ABS on 4 wheel- as in ONLY in 4wheel drive? maybe I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly my burb had it in 4x4, but not in 2x4?

Brandy

3. Re: Putting a 14FF in a \'96 GMC

i actually did exactly what your doing on my truck, i got the shavkle flip and springs ending wityh about 9"'s of lift, your driveshaft will need to be altered, its too long. and expect some vibrations unless you got cv's

4. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Really Brandy? That confuses me becuase where's the safety in it then, 2x4 on the road driving 55 or 4x4 on a trail going 15. Why do they do it like that?

5. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

Hey ChevyBoy:

You did this same swap?? 4" springs and ORD's shackle flip and you ended up with about 9" of lift. 38"s should fit no problem, right? Do you have a 2 or 4 door Tahoe?? What did you go with in the front?? A Dana 60 out of a ford?? Will 6" springs in the front match up pretty good with the rear?? How do the 4.88 gears go down the road?? I am thinking of going with 4.56's but have also been thinking maybe the 4.88's. Thanks for any info you may have, I am planning on doing this buildup this fall or winter.

Thanks

6. Re: Putting a 14FF in a \'96 GMC

i did not use the ford front axle, im running the 208 transfer case with the passenger sidde front out[put, so ford front axles wont work. i am running a gm 10 bolt up front. soon to be a dana 60. i have 6" superlift springs and they match up with the rear lift. im sure i could fit 38's, but might be squeezing a little., maybe if you do some fender trimming it would work out good. oh yah i ahve the 4 door.

7. tonto

tonto Registered Member

this is for chevyboy. have alot of interest in the swap you did. i was wondering if you could answer a few questions if you don't mind. wanting to run a coil spring in front with a three link. was wondering if you could tell me the distance between the bottom frame rail and the top of your axle. also want to know how you like the pj's, wear overall and handling. would appreciate any info you could give . thanks

8. Re: Putting a 14FF in a \'96 GMC

ok just took some quick measurments from lowest part of fram to axle and spring pirch. 13" to axle
    12" to spring pirch hope this helps /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

and about the pj's, i love them, tyhey have a nice hum when driving on freeway, nothing too muh, good handeling on wet surfaces, never tried in snow or ice, work awsome in sand and hard packed/rocks, and i was very impressed with mud performance, they self cleaned very well. and just a quick qquestion, what made you decide to go with 3 link?? alot more work for installation and its not as solid as leaf spring, but i bet it would be a better ride though...

9. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

Hey Chevyboy one more question for you, What did it take to hook the 208 to your 4l60e?? I have been thinking of putting a 205 into mine and then I could use a 'chevy style' Dana 60. The chevy 60's seem to be cheaper and easier to find then the ford's. Also what did you do for the front driveshaft??
    Thanks for all the info.

10. tonto

tonto Registered Member

want to go three link for the travel and ride, still researching the geometry for the links. plus if i am going to fabricate everything it is going to cost about the same, have access to a machine shop. plus going three link will let me put the hydro-assist ram on the back side of the axle out of harms way. i appreciate the measurements, alot. this gives me the distance i was trying to figure out. i want the pj's, just wanted to know if the tires where worth the price of $300 each. i have to get at least a years worth of wear out of them. this is for the guy on the transfer case, you can have a trans shop mount the vssb in the trans instead of the case. then you can run any combo you like, i am working on a doubler myself with a 4l60. have to use ford 205 since i already have a reverse cut 60 of ford design.