Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

putting a 3+3 crew cab on a K5 frame?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Sep 25, 2005.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well my body on my Blazer is pretty much thrashed beyond repair...Has anybody had any experience putting a 3+3 crew cab on a K5 frame? My biggest concern is what to do about the extra length of the crew in order to clear the rear wheels. Do I just lop of the lower rear corners and kinda boatside it or what? Any how have any experience with this or have any pics of a 3+3 cab on a K5 frame?

Chris

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd try and score the door opening parts of a 'G' van as well as the doors. Then graft the wheel section of the footwell/door opening and lower door onto the rear doors/opening of the 3+3 cab.

Rene

3. Dain Fraser

Dain Fraser Registered Member

There is a guy near here with a 3+3 cab on a shortbox frame...I'll see if I can find what he did.

4. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

I've considered this as well and really like the idea Rene had.

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it's an option I think it'd be way easier to stretch the wheelbase than mod the cab.

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Just wheel the crewcab, check out our cheap truck, it's a lot of fun.

We measured out putting a crewcab on a longbed frame one time and I think the tires would clear OK but that's about it, and that was a C&C truck with about a 135" wheelbase.
    I think my choice would be to run a shortbed length bed or flatbed which would put you right around 150" wheelbase. Not ideal for a trail rig but functional in many ways.
    If you're going to chop it a lot, why not start with a 'burb body, they're the same on the front end and a lot more available. For that matter, why not just wheel the 'sub? Do a roof chop on it and maybe a bob job to get rid of the overhang and go for it.
    I'm kind a crewcab fan but I don't know how well it would work on a K5 length vehicle.