Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

putting a 3/4 ton 14bff under my 3/4 ton suburban... e-brake question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, Jan 5, 2003.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ok i got this awesome 14bff with 4.10 and a detroit in it and it's going under the sub this month. it's 3/4 ton so the spring perches are the same, the u joint is the same, the brakeline is the same, BUT, the e-brake cables are different. this axle has 2 cables coming from it of equal length and my sububan has one short and one long cable that both run to the drivers side of the axle where they go to the front of the truck. how can i make this work? could i remove the cables from my 14bsf and put them on this 14bff?

2. muddysub

anyone?

3. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

not sure this is what you're going to want to hear.. but if i recall from the posts on here, i think you've got 4 options... (my 80 axle had same design as you described; my sub has the same cables you have).
    1. change in backing plates to match what you've got on the truck. believe it's a 'year' thing, but not sure the cutoff years and if theres any other backing plate swap issues.
    2. go disk! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif use the caddy calipers.
    3. there's been some posts about custom cables. not sure price, but sure it can't be too awful. Check the master link list and see if they might be listed there.
    3. Parking brake is optional equipment. Tie off existing cables and be done! (the option i took for now).

Hope it helps..

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

woody9, you might want to check on that "optional" thing.

Apparently in Wisconsin...it's not optional...it's the law. That's what I understand, anyway, being that the one time I've been pulled over in my 'burb, the state trooper had me test my parking brake right on the side of the interstate....he was an A-hole though. Just helping you stay legal /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. muddysub

options 4 and 2 sound good. it'll be disc within 4 months anyway.

6. muddysub

not in NV, no ispections except for smog. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sweet, well then...if I were you, #4 is what I'd do until you get the stuff for a disc conversion.

Jim, unless you're not worried about it...you may want to do something about your p-brake setup so that you don't get a faulty-equipment violation. (Reminder: I'm just assuming it's law in Wisconsin since the cop had me test my p-brake to make sure it still works, I don't know that it's law for a fact.)

8. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

I thought you could take the s/f backing plates and use the on the f/f, but then again I am probably wrong /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif. You CAN modify your existing cables(short and long) to work in the f/f backing plates, without spending a dime. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You CAN take SF and FF backing plates and swap them for the other, very easily, as long as......

1. They both use the same size shoes.
    2. They both are 3/4 ton plates.

The cut-off year is '82 and '83. '82 and older have equal length cables while '83 and newer have the passenger side longer than the driver side.

Any 3/4 ton SF backing plate will fit ALL of the FF axles, regardless of the year. The trick is to find the correct years of plates to fit them to whatever year the truck is. After the correct plates have been found and fitted, it shall pass all inspections. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

well, I guess you need the disc conversion sooner than expected. Unless you don't care about the e-brake.

11. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Yikes! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif you're right! Just checked W-DOT code, and sho'nuff! Supposed to have 'em! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    Well, i've only been stopped twice in Wis - Both times by Ft McCoy /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Rent-A-Cops.... Guess I'll have to start huntin down some caddy calipers!

12. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Muddysub, there is another way to do it by just modifying the cable holder on the new backing plate ( ie. for the new axle). It is a real eazy thing to do and it will save you money to use elsewhere. I will post some pics for you to see later when I get home.

Charles

13. muddysub

well i never use my e-brake anyway so i'll just zip-tie them to the axle and start buying disc conversion stuff.

14. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I have the backing plates you need. they are complete with nice shoes on them. Its just a matter of un-bolting yours, and bolting on these. PM me if you are interested.

Rob

15. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I will be installing a 14 bolt ff soon in to my 88 blazer, but it had the equal lenght parking brake cables. I took the backing plates W/shoes off of a 1984 chevy 1 ton van with a 14 bolt sf. it had the same cables stlye as the one in my 88 blazer where the 2 cables were routed on the drivers side together. Ed

16. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

This is the way I modified the e-brake cables on the old style to fit my new style brake cables. First take off the e-brake cable holders in the older 14 bolt (2 bolts do it). Then pry the two parts of the holder off the e-brake. Next cut the cable off so you can get the cable off the smaller piece (you'll see when you get that far). Then cut a slot in the smaller piece to slide in the new cable from your axle PIC . As you can see the larger piece of the cable fits into the larger piece of the holder PIC . Then just run the cable it's self through the smaller piece and sandwich the two pieces together PIC. Bolt the holder back into the backing plate and have fun. Best of all its FREE. If you need more info feel free to ask.

Charles

17. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

heres a suggestion , this is how i am going to do mine.
    on the earlier volkswagons , the beetles , they have the same type of e-brake cables . one coming form each side.
    now what i was going to do , is use a vw e-brake handle,
    mount it to the floor next to the seat. drill the proper
    holes for the cables to come through , connect it up , adjust and all should be good. i am not positive this will work for you , but its the route i have drawn up and gonna go with . plus the cost is way cheap.

18. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I had originally considered this in my blazer when I put my old school 14ff in last spring. The only differnce was tht I was going to hace two levers and have each lever control one brake.....like cutting brakes.

never did it though...got busy with other stuff.

rob

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Your links don't work. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif You were logged in to Webshots in edit mode when you copied 'em. Since we can't edit your web page, it won't let us in. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

20. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Sorry about that. It was late when I did that. It should work now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Charles