Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Putting a 6.5 fan clutch on a 454?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, May 13, 2006.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

On my DD crewcab, a 98 K3500 with a vortec 454, the motor has been getting hot at lights and either my thermostat is sticking or my fan clutch is going out. Naturaly, I am going to replace the thermostat first but if that doesnt fix it I am looking into upgrading the clutch when I replace it. Is the clutch from a same year 6.5L TD a bolt on no-modification replacement? I figured it would either pull the same or more air than the stock 454 clutch.

2. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the fan clutch is not working properly. Try installing a severe duty clutch or upgrading to an electric set up.

Dan..

3. greg mgm

greg mgm 1/2 ton status

I just went throught the same exact thing on my 454 truck. Long story short, the fan clutch was the culprit. A severe duty one is what I replaced it with, and there's no overheating any more. By the way, I tried the highest CFM elec fans that Flex a Lite makes, and they couldnt keep the engine cool while towing, or at freeway speeds. I highly recommend against them for big blocks if you do heavy duty towing.

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

So where would I get one of these "severe duty" clutches? How much do they cost compared to a stock 454 or 6.5 one? I wont even consider switching to electric fans, as this is my DD and I resolved to not do ANY significant mods to it.

5. greg mgm

greg mgm 1/2 ton status

Afroman- Good answer!! No electric fans!! Anyway, I found one at my local independant auto parts store. The clutch was a Hayden, and I paid $75 for it. The application was for a "454 severe duty" Money well spent.

6. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Most parts store should be able to order them for you. I've noticed that they stock the heavy duty / standard ones but the severe duty's are special order. No biggie, they cost a lil more but money well spent.

Dan..