Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

putting a 90s serp. setup on a 70s motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Jan 29, 2007.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I`m posting this for a friend. Here goes: He`s putting a 90s serpentine set up, off a 92 pick up,onto a 70s 350, and he realized, as he was told, one of the A/C bolts doesn`t have a place to go.:eek1: :eek1: It looks like the only way it may work is by drilling the head...Is there any alternatives? If not, whats the best way to do it?

EDIT: The bolt in question is the upper bolt, up by the intake....

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah, that hole's boss doesn't exist on the earlier heads. I drilled it out, but found that the material there is only about 1/4" thick, and then I was straight into the waterjacket.

It sealed fine after I tapped it, and put some RTV on the threads of the bolt, but I am not entirely sure I'd reccomend doing so....

Are his the brackets that bolt up to the head in three places, then has an arm that goes down to the bottom of the block just above the oil pan and bolts in down there as well? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about not having that one bolt in... If it is one of the big black stamped setups, then don't worry about it either.

If it is one of the setups with only the 3 bolts to hold the bracket on, you'll need to find something else to do with it, or find a different bracketry setup.

3. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Yea, I`m talking to him now, and he said he has the "arm" that goes down by the oil pan...

4. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Is he even going to use the A/C compressor from the 92? If not, look for the A/C delete pulley and just run the 2 bolts, they are stong enough without the A/C compressors weight and load.