Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Putting a TPI top end onto a '72 block

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72Blazerod, Sep 26, 2001.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Putting a TPI top end onto a \'72 block

Has anyone used their old block and just put all the TPI goodies on top? How about TBI? Can you mix and match TPI components ( I know a guy that has a 305 TPI out of an IROC with a cracked block, could I use these parts or are the 305 parts crappy?) I have a spare '72 350 out of a GMC 3/4 ton and I want to rebuild it. I am still trying to make up my mind whether or not to go fuel injection. Does any one have any advice?

Thanks again guys,

Rod

In Canada we use K5s instead of dog sleds now!

2. Murph

Murph Registered Member

Re: Putting a TPI top end onto a \'72 block

The 305 has different injectors than the 350 as well as a different distributor and computer chip. Apparently, you can make the injectors work by cranking up the fuel pressure (need to buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator from Summit, Jegs...) You would need to purchase a different distributor, though. That's all the info that I can provide. As always, Steve Chin may have some more to add since he is going through a TPI install. I put in the entire motor from an IROC since it had less than 30K miles on it. Good luck...

Murph

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

There's no difference in the distributors from a 305 to a 350, but the injectors, knock sensor, ECM PROM, and a couple of other things are different (but readily available). The earlier TPI systems used the large-body HEI up until 1989. In '89, they switched to the smaller-bodied (external coil) HEI. All were computer-controlled distributors and were the same as could be found on any '81-up carbureted or TBI'd SBC. FWIW, I modified my '86 harness to work with an '89 small-body unit because it'd fit better in my Blazer than the bigger HEI does.

The decision on whether or not to go with EFI is really your own. My decision was mostly for the gee-whiz factor, the challenge of learning about the systems and implementing the swap, and to see if I could get better mileage than with the Quadrajet. If it does get better gas mileats, the swap will still never pay for the money you will invest in it.

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,

I did this swap in January of this year.The block was previously carburated.Bought the whole system from a 92 Camaro from Jim's performance http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292391623

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>