Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Putting a video on my computer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by heavy4x4, Oct 22, 2003.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Hey all, I'm just wondering what it takes to load a video onto my computer. I'm not worried about having it hosted on a website or anything...just think it would be cool to make some videos of my truck and have them on my computer. I'm pretty much clueless about doing this (hence this post), so, what does it all take? Do I need a special camera? How do I hook things up? Blah, blah, blah.

Really any information from the most basic to the most advanced would be good. THANKS!

2. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

I use Dazzle. it's pretty simple, plug the camera or VCR to it, then it to your USB port. some software to install then you're ready to go. I think it's under $100 now.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

what i do and know is that you *should* get a camera with firewire out. that way you dont have to buy a special video capture card. i like sony and most newer sonys have it (the somewhat upper end though). and from there you just need video capture software. there are tons to chose from. Also if you dont have firewire on the computer you will need a firewire card also

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've got a firewire port right on the front of my computer...cool!

Okay, so it sounds like I have two options:
    1) I need a camera with the firewire thingy and also video capture software
    2) I need to buy that $100 piece which allows me to hook up my video camera (probably from the mid-90's) to my computer and it will just load from there.

This doesn't sound too bad. Right now #2 sounds cheapest.

Is there anything I have to do about quality of the videos, or is that something that you can't decide/do anything about?

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

well USB can only transmit 1.2 mega bites a second, so the quality will be minimal. and firewire can transfter like 50 megabites a second or something like that. so you "could" use the "$100 piece which allows me to hook up my video camera " but read up on it and see what input types it has.
    USB = BAD
    USB2 = GOOD
    FIREWIRE = GOOD

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    well USB can only transmit 1.2 mega bites a second, so the quality will be minimal. and firewire can transfter like 50 megabites a second or something like that. so you "could" use the "$100 piece which allows me to hook up my video camera " but read up on it and see what input types it has.
    USB = BAD
    USB2 = GOOD
    FIREWIRE = GOOD

[/ QUOTE ]

Gonna jump in here and ask a question...

USB2 and Firewire are compareable? Same or close to it bandwaidth? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

eh, yeah, it's USB2, my video is made with Dazzle, i think it's decent.
    check my video of my truck thread for your own opinion.

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

FireWire offers a significant advantage over USB 2.0, besting it by nearly 48 percent in write speeds and over 70 percent in read speeds.
    clicky

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

hmm...Interesting. Guess it's time to snag a FireWire card. Ebay here I come. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif