Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Putting in 2wd steering box, power steering hoses dont match up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, May 4, 2003.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I got the box out of a 70's pickup, its goin in my 84... The hoses that bolt into the top of the box arent matching up, seems that there is too much of the hose sticking out in front of the threads on the bolt has anyone else ran into this before?

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

The boxes changed hose styles in '81. The ealier boxes had flared style hose fittings and the newer boxes have O-Ring style hose fittings. Sounds like you have the box that requires the flared style fittings but the hoses you have are the O-Ring style.

3. Silver84k5

can i get those flare style hoses from the parts store? and more importantly, If i can get the from the parts store, what should i ask for? I hate trying to explain to These parts store Yahoos around here what i need.

Thx

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I think you might have to change the pump too. Yes, you can get them from the parts store but your going to need to get them from a pre '81 truck. I would think it would be much easier to swap the pitman shafts. I dont think you would have to take the box off your truck to do that.

5. Silver84k5

i already had this boxed shipped to WTO and its all ready to rock for the hydro, thx for the info ;P

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Get the fitting off the back of a pre 1981 steering pump, and swap it with the one on the back of your 1984 pump. Then, go buy the correct hose for the 1970's pump.

Don't swap the valve that comes out (typically) with that fitting, as that can change the characteristics of your power steering if it's a different one.

Don't see a reason why ANY pre 1981 GM car OR truck couldn't donate that fitting, although cars MIGHT have started using the "new style" fittings at the pump and box a year or two earlier.

7. Silver84k5

when you say the valve that comes out (typically) are you talking about the box or pump?

UPS [censored] up my steering pump, that WTO modified for me, so i took the modified parts out of that pump and put it into the good pump that i had.....

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

The valve comes out of the box, but like he said, try to avoid messing with it...

On a side note, be extremely careful if you try to splice the hose. I did that to mate a flare-fitting to o-ring pump hose, and the exploding hose sent power steering fluid all over my nearby parked jeep...

9. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

i just cut the end off the hose with the o-ring and it worked fine

10. Silver84k5

no leaking? maybe ill try that

11. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

As stated there are 2 (possibly more...you know GM) types of hoses. My 79 came with the flare fittings, but due to a broken bracket I recently installed a pump and bracket off of an 82 or so truck. I just cut the pump side fitting off of my 79 style hose and attached the Oring style fitting using a 3/8 compression fitting.