Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Putting in a new engine!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AK-5GUY, Jan 5, 2003.

1. AK-5GUY

AK-5GUY Registered Member

I have an 87 K5 with about 140,000 miles. I just bought it and I know that it needs a new engine. (One of the rod bearings is bad and it has a very loud nock). I have decided against rebuilding, and am just going with a whole new engine. I am just wondering how hard it is to do the engine swap myself. Are there any hints you can give me to help it go easier or faster? I will be doing this within the next couple of months, and I have alot of time to spend on it because it isnt my daily driver yet. I already have an engine picked out so that isnt a problem. I just need all the advice I can get on this big project, and I knew that you guys would be the best place for it. Thanks alot. Harrison

2. unsane

unsane Guest

Get a good knowledgable friend or TRUSTWORTHY co-worker to help you out. Pay him in beer(after you do the work)! All said its pretty easy, just as long as you label the stuff you're not gona remember where it goes. PM me for more questions I just rebuilt my 89, removed and installed by myself. Its stil fresh in my mind so I can remember stuff about it. -Eric

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

If your truck has the older style accessory brackets be sure to remember where they go, make a drawing, take a picture or whatever it takes. They can be tricky sometimes if you have no idea. I think the later ones (88?-up) have a two piece bracket that isnt too bad. I dont know if yours has it or not but my 79 has a ground cable that bolts to the back of the pass. head and firewall. Be careful not to damage the radiator (best to take it out, but can be done with it in) and AC condenser if you have it. If you have an auto tranny, there should be a clip held by an oil pan bolt that supports the cooler lines.