Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Putting in tranny, want to do it right this time (3rd try)... (kinda long)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, May 26, 2003.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Okay, I've been screwing with the Th350 in my K20 for way too long now, and I finally have a tranny that I know is good and I've got my bad one out. I have a few concerns right now that I want to get taken care of so that I can rest easy that I won't have to take this thing out for a while.

1) Exactly how much fluid do I put in it, it just had the output shaft on it swapped so its completely dry. Dry TC also.

2) When attaching the torque converter to the flywheel do I need any washers in there as spacers so that the converter is fully seated on the pump tangs? I thought I read something about this, but there were no washers in there to begin with.

3) At the back of the tranny where it has the 4 bolts that bolt it to the adapter, do I need any seal in there other than the rubber one along the outside of it? Should I put some RTV on it to make sure that its not going to leak?

Sorry this was so long, but like I said earlier, I've had this tranny in and out 3 times now... I've done my fair share of tranny work on this truck and I just want to be good and done with it for once.

Dan

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

3. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Go spend $13 on a Haines Manual that has your tranny/engine configuration in it. It will show and tell all that you ask... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

What tranny are you putting in? If it's the same kind (TH350), than it'll bolt right in.
    1--> Buy a whole case of fluid, fill up the TC with fluid, lube the front tranny seal and TC snout with ATF, push the TC all the way in. When it goes in, push in all the way, the turn and keep pushing, it will go in a lot further than you think. You will feel it engage the pump tangs as you push and turn. Fill once installed and check with the dipstick.
    2--> If it's the same tranny, just install the same way the other one is. If it's a different one, I don't think you'll need to space it, but see how it goes. You'll be able to tell when you have it bolted up. Slide the TC towards the flexplate. When it's right up to it, spin it. Feel a good amount of resistance? it's still engaged.
    3--> If it's an O-ring, no RTV is required. If it's a rubber gasket, it shouldn't need RTV, those install dry. You could also just use RTV and no gasket. It's up to you...
    Good luck! It's not so hard once you get used to it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that the way that I've done it the other times wasn't flawed. I got side-tracked today installing some gauges and fixing a motor mount, so I should have everything back together after I get back from court tomorrow morning.

Thanks