Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Putting my amp behind side upholstery?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Itali83, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Will this be ok to do? I'm talking about the side upholstery in the bed, so on the inside quarter panel. Will the amp get too hot behind there with no direct air?? I'm planning on running a 100 watt or so 4 channel amp for my 6x9's, and 2 channel amp on the other sides for my 2 8's I'll be putting under the seats. SO they aren't monster amps, but I don't want them getting hot and running into trouble. THanks for you help.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I have almost the same exact set-up and it works. I have a RF200 for a single 10" sub behind the drivers side panel and a Crossfire Amp for the 6x9's and dash speakers on the other side. I have had this set-up for over a year and never had a problem with heat. I live in Texas and the set-up has functioned perfectly through two very hot summers. My side panels are .75 MDF and covered with carpet.

Derf00

"A WISE MONKEY NEVER MONKEYS WITH ANOTHER MONKEY'S MONKEY."

3. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

ok thanks man, also, I know that some amps come with fans on them to keep them cool, do you have the fans, or are they an unneeded extra that will just cost me more. I live in Maine so the summers are normally around high 80's and mid 90's, so no 100+ temps for any great lenths of time. Thanks for any info!!!
    Ben 87 Jimmy

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

No fans. Since the amps are mounted to the inner fenders, I think they act as a large heat sink.

Derf00

"A WISE MONKEY NEVER MONKEYS WITH ANOTHER MONKEY'S MONKEY."

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Ok cool, so I'm made in the shade that is?? Any more input? you guys all rock, thanks a TON!!!!!
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>