Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Putting my dog to sleep

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

It's about that time... She's 14 years old, has had cancer twice, and it's just gotten worse since she got it again in September... Today she can hardly walk, her leg is all swollen up, and all she can do is sit under the table and whine... So mom's going to take her to the vet on Monday and get her put to sleep :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

None of us were really expecting her to live past March anyway, so it's not like a huge suprise... Just something we don't want to do...

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Sorry to hear it.

That is never an easy thing to do. You gave her a good home and let her live a full life. You wouldn't believe how many people euthanize for trivial reasons.

That's all a furry friend can ask for, a little loyalty in return. My thoughts are with you capman.

3. blaznjon

blaznjon 1/2 ton status

I`m sorry to hear about your dog :( .I feel for you.Two years ago When I put Rusty down .My best friend,hunting partner for fifteen years.It was the hardest thing I ever did.He had the cancer also.It came back again.This is the first time in my life I haven`t had a dog.I guess it`s kinda like the feeling you get if you out lived your kids.Think about it this way.even if you don`t want to you have to.You will be showing how much your dog ment to you,by doing the kindest thing by puting your dog down.Think about the qualitie of life. I couldn`t watch mine suffer.Take Care. JB

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about yer dog. i think losin a dog is jsut as hard as losin a family member, hell they are family too. My family had a new ofundland for 16 years but hip dispasia and tumors made it to the point we had to put her down. So its hard.

Best wishes.

5. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

My boxer Bubba was 15 when we had the same situation. Had him from a pup. It's hard.

I had my son with me that day 4 at the time. Decided he was to young to understand or go through it. So I left Bubba at the vet, he was OK there and they all knew him. But my biggest regret was I was not there with him when he went to sleep.

May God bless on her way to dog heaven!

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Sorry for your loss, Bro. I was just outside, working on my K5, and I had hollered at my dog for barking too much at nothing. He's part dane, so he's really sensitive, and I wasn't so much mad at the dog as I was the truck, and I took it out on him.

So, I read your post, and dammit if I didn't grab my dog and just hug him. Dogs are great. they have this forgiveness thing down pretty good.

Having had to put down a couple in my life, I think the dog appreciates you doing the right thing. At least she's not hurtin' anymore.

Tom

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I think you did the right thing though... that would be traumatic for a 4 yr old to see. They don't understand death yet. You were looking out for your boy, and there is honor in that. Knowing the protective nature of dogs, Bubba would'nt want him upset anyway.

Tom

8. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Sorry to here about that. Know how you feel Sandy is 11 and almost blind. She can't even get in the bed anymore she just sets beside it and grunts then you have to get up and set her in the bed. This is a couple times a nite thing but she is the baby going to hate when something happens to her. Agian sorry about this happenin'. If in Ga we can talk about anther if interested. We do small dogs mostly poodle mixes.

9. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

One thing you need to ask yourself - Do you want Quantity of life or Quality of life for your dog?

I too had to put down the family border collie - that was the hardest thing I ever had to do at that time. Just two years ago I had to put down my bubby Max the Cat. That was even harder. :frown1:

I feel your pain. Hang in there. :waytogo:

10. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about your dog. You don't realize how close you are to them until you lose one.

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sorry to hear it, but its the right thing to do. I'm sitting here with my older lab on my feet. I don't ever want to think about it.

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i feel for you brother, i did the same thing to one of my rott's. she had cancer also and her leg swelled up. she just let it dangle, when we got to the vet she ran in there.she had never been to this place cuz its a weekend emergency place, but she knew and ran in. she was such a trooper.:(

13. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Son of a whore........

I have this extra chicken left over from dinner and wanted to give it to the dog.... I can't give it to the big dog, he doesn't digest people food very well............. It's just going to get thrown away now :( :( :( :(

Poor thing spent last night in a chair, couldn't move... Found her this morning when I woke up just breathing funny and lying there... Said so long, said a quick prayer, cried like a little kid in a candy store with no money, and mom came to take her away... Hope she's happy in dog heaven waiting for me :frown1: :cool1:

14. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

peace be with you.it sucks but at least she's not in pain anymore.:(

15. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Dude, this is really hard, and I know what you're going through. I had two dogs growing up that I let live past the point where their quality of life was good. Looking back, I should have put them to sleep before they got so bad. I was just too attached to them and couldn't do it.

Now I have 3 dogs that are part of the family, and when the time comes I will have them put to sleep. I won't let them suffer.

You have the thoughts and prayers of the Dearringer Family. You're doing the right thing.

Paul