Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PUTTING ON A 6" LIFT...JUST A COUPLE ?'S FOR YA.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Jan 1, 2003.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

PUTTING ON A 6\" LIFT...JUST A COUPLE ?\'S FOR YA.

iM TAKING A 6" LIFT OFF OF A '79 BLAZER AND PUTTIN IT ON MY '80 CHEVY PICKUP /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. SOMEONE TOLD ME I WILL NEED NEW "COPPER CRUSH WASHERS" FOR THE FRONF BREAK LINESWERE THEY MEET UP WITH THE CALIPER, IS THIS TRUE?? ALSO ITS GOT A RAISED STEERING ARM OFF THE DRIVER SIDE STEERING KNUCKLE THAT I AM GEETING AS WELL, AND IVE HELPED MY UNCLE TAKE ONE OF THOSE OFF BEFOR AND THOSE LITTLE CONE SHAPED ADAPTER PIECES WHERE QUITE THE PAIN IN THE ASS. DOES ANYONE KNOW A GOOD TRICK TO GETTING THOSE OFF, AND HOW DO I GET NEW ONES IF I MESS THOSE ONES UP? WELL I GUESS THATS ABOUT IT. AS ALLWAYS, THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: PUTTING ON A 6\" LIFT...JUST A COUPLE ?\'S FOR YA.

<font color="green"> OK, first off -

[​IMG]

You can sometimes reuse the crushwashers, I usually get 3 uses out of them before I have to replace them. Technically you should replace them every time, especially if you are changing the lines. The steering arms are a PITA, use lots of penetrating lube on it daily for about a week prior to trying to pull it and youll have better luck. I usually use a BFH and alot of swear words. Don't try to jam anything between the arm and the knuckle because you can goober up the knuckle. The cone washers can be bought at just about any off-road shop, other than that probably a dealer-only item. </font color>

3. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ive found that it is easiest taking the stearing arm off when everything upto, and including, the backing plate is removed. Then just work it with a chisle and a BFH. And the crushwashers are reusble to extent, just like Shaggy said. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Ok guys thanks alot(oh and sorry about the CAPS LOCK). Gonna get started on that in about a week or two. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

this may sound dumb, but i had very good luck with my steering arm by using the BFH and smacking it down instead of up, cuz hitting it up causes the cone washer to tighten down more, which is even more of a pain. don't forget PB blaster or whatever penetrant fluid,

hope this helps

Ck1500 /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I alternated from hitting it downward and then upward. Mine wouldn't come off after hitting it normal with my BFH so I really hit it HARD and it popped right off. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah, I had to work mine back and forth too to get it off.

8. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

ok, shoot tons of lube in there for many days prior to removal. take a chisle or screw driver and stick it in the crack in the cone, try to whack it in a circle so it spins around and get loose. also, im not sure how to describe this, but try to hit the arm in the "crotch". you know, like, the middle of the arch? you know what im trying to say? hitting it there has always seemed to work well. also yelling, swearing, and being generally pissed of is good. when you do get the old one off, run into the street, throw it as far as you can and yell some nasty swear words at it as loud as possible, preferable when lots of people are looking.

9. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

LOL thanks alot ducttape. I'll make sure and due all that. If I do it all in that order it ought to be like a hot knife through butter huh? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

yup, easy as a ugly drunk chick on prom night!!!!! seriosly though, lube, try and spin the cones loose, whack it in the "crotch", and be prepared to be frusterated. thats my suggestion. it took 3 of us takeing turns about 3 hours to get mine off. we started on the arm, then we would get frusterated and work on somthing else for a while then come back to the arm... it was a b*tch but it is do-able.