Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Putting on a lift and need some help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, May 3, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

2 questions. When I separated the stock leaf spring from the axle, a metal shim fell out. Thicker on one side. When I put my new Superlift springs on, do I have to put that shim back in underneath it???
    Question two is how can I get the bushings out of the frame where the shackles are? I'm drilling them out, but its taking forever. And the shackle is close to a fuel line, so I really can't burn them out. They are 27 years old and really stubborn. Any ideas?

Thanks

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

I haven't put a lift on yet, but I did replace my shackle bushings. For the one in the frame I took a flat screwdriver and a hammer and pounded it out. It took about 5 min. of pounding but it worked. If you have to, break one apart with the screwdriver by cutting it up. Worked for me and it was just as hard putting the new ones in! Just don't use the screwdriver on those.

Toad

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

You should definetely re use the shims and make sure that they go in the same way that they came out, those are to keep the driveline angles right.
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

4. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

After putting your new lift on, check the pinion angle before you put the shim back, you may find you need to go to a greater angle on the shim, in order to keep the tranny and or t-case angles the same as the pinion, when you replace the new bushings put a good quality grease on them before you reinstall, and after you've driven the rig for a week or so go back and retorque the axle bolts and shackles.

Good luck!

<font color=red>Happy trails to you</font color=red>[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=blue>White Knight</font color=blue>

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Your new spring packs should have dagree shims on the packs allready????? Mine did anyway! Most lift kits come with this pinon dagree shim if yours didn't I would call up the manufacture and ask WHY!!
    Good Luck!
    Oh Ya I replaced the shakels and busshings on my 72 and the frame rubber bushings were two pice and after I removed the center tube or pipe they came out by prying with a big flatblade screwdriver! Ohya and I sliped and stabbed my finger with it and now I have a scar to remind me of that day!![​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

6. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

patience isnt something i possess either, but when working with a rig that is 20+ yrs old it sure does help. the shackle bushings in my frame rail were a b#@%h to remove but did finally come out after drilling them. i got a tip from stephen watson at ORD: when reinstalling these bushings smooth out the hole in the frame with a file and use a good amount of grease. they are suppose to be a little tight, but should go in rather effortlessly.
    the shims are suppose to come with the new springs, call superlift about that one.

7. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

The lift I got is only 2.5 inches. Maybe thats why they didn't include any degree shims with it??? BUT, I wouldn't be surprised if 4-Wheel Parts Wholesteelers forgot to send me something that I needed. Man I hate that place. I think I'm going to call Superlift just to be sure. Thanks guys.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad