Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

putting seat belts back in--holes are gone?!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, Feb 24, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to put the seat belts back in--- for the front, the sholder harness part- here's the question

When they redid the floor- they also redid the part where the seat belt ancors--- which means I have to drill a hole to bolt them... BUT how in the world to you "thread" it to something? Is there suppose to be a nut on the inside of the panel? I can't see anything because they fixed the entire part there. and its all new metal? What do I use? THANKS!

--Brandy

HELP!!!!! I need 16.5x 12 rims -------please please please!!!!!

oh, still LOVING the new dmax as well!

2. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Ah, that's a drag. The way the stock panels are designed the "nut" is actually made of a threaded cylinder on a steel flange about 1.5" x2" and it is spot welded to the underside of the mounting point. When I replaced my floor, I reused those and tacked them back on in the original location. I suppose if it wasn't possible to do it that way you could weld something onto the accessible side of the panel. Won't look as good, but definitely easier than tearing out the panel.

John

3. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

I also had that problem when I rewelded in my new side pieces the only way I could do it was by taking a 3/4 nut and taping to a 3/4 long wrench and after I drilled the new hole I inserted the wrench through the bottom cab mount opening and threaded the new seat belt bolt through and it worked but it takes some patience but it can be done just make sure that the wrench is long enough to reach the hole you drill then after just pull on it and the tape will snap off and thats it your done.good luck............

1988 k-5 blazer 5.7

4. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

hey i have a 78 thats going to have the same problem mine is rusted out bad in that area i am going to have to fab something to replace it just would like to know how you guys replaced this area when i removed the seat belts i seen that i was going to have a problem

4x4k20

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

My brother has a 81 and when we installed new seatbelts on his we did the tape-the-nut-to-the-wrench trick and it worked.
    Good Luck[​IMG]. This was the door jamb mount. if it is the one by the console that is now covered you may try to look under neath and see if the plate is still there, if not I think and plate cut to a workible size should work, like 1.5" by 3" with a nut welded on ot even just use the plate as a "washer" type thing.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When i replaced the 'B' pillar lower section on my 81 I bent up a piece of 10 gauge material and welded a nut to the backside for the seatbelt. This should have been done when you got yours fixed...
    That being said the backside can be reached somewhat easily from underneath. I find the best view with a trouble light and my head in the rear fenderwell looking forwards and upwards. It's not that high or far away, so a nut should be able to be started without too much trouble.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>