Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Putting TBI454 in Blazer...any suggestions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Udy, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Udy

Udy Registered Member

At 278K, the 350 in my '91 Blazer is way too week. I have the idea to install the TBI454 from my '87 GMC 3500 in it. This is were most of ya are gonna kill me...I want to keep it stock apearing! :doah: This truck is completely original except 6" suspension lift...never seen a winter...even original paint! I use it as a summer toy and would like to be able to tow our small travel trailer. I would wheel it if I knew I could be capable w/o having to thrash the truck...at some point I will be there...just not with stock/open drivetrain.

I know the AC unit is mounted on the other side so I have a post in the WANTED section for those parts.

Did the '91 BB trucks have the same cast iron intake with adaptor for TBI unit as in my '87 donor? Same "blue" engine/stamped valve covers?

Will my new 4L60 (700R4) hold up to street use behind stock 454? What about towing 5000lbs? What about 241 t-case? I am already looking for a 6-lug 14 bolt so I can use my tires/wheels. In the future, I plan to swap in D60 and FF 14bolt from the donor...just too expensive to go through them and buy tires/wheels at this point.

Will 350 cooling system work?

Will vacuume booster/brakes be adequate or should I swap in Hydroboost? What about my stock ABS (RWAL)?

Anything else I should think of?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Both being TBI, there shouldn't be a whole lot of difference in the wiring.

As I recall, the big block had different wiring for the TPS (easily rectified) other than that, with a donor truck that is also TBI, it should be pretty darn straightforward.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

4. Udy

Udy Registered Member

Cool...thanks for tips.

5. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

They put the 4l80 behind the 454. I would get the 4l60 built up alittle or swap for the 4l80. Just to be safe, if you want to tow. Sounds cool.

6. 4X4HIGH

This just reminded me, you will also need to figure a way to make the TV cable work on the BBC throttle body since they never had a 700R4/4L60 behind a BBC.

I'm getting ready to install a new engine using a 454 TBI and my plan is to rob the throttle linkage portion of the 350 TBI and put it on the 454 TBI throttle shaft so all my connections will still work.

7. Udy

Udy Registered Member

Thanks again! Let me know what you figure out... I work with the guys who designed the TBIs. Maybe one of them can shed some light on the conversion.

8. jboyes

jboyes 1/2 ton status

That is exactly what we did on mine and everything seems to work just fine.

9. 4X4HIGH

How did you remove the piece from the 350 TBI and how did you re-attach it to the 454 TBI? You may make my life easier with your reply. :thumb: