Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

putting the tie rod behind the axle...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jul 28, 2004.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ran into this thread over on Pirate.

pic

Assuming I relocated my shocks, and my oil pan didn't get in the way... this oughta work on my leaf sprung front 60 right? Seems like if it'd work that lots of other people would have done it before... but I don't know of anyone here on ck5 that runs their tierod in the rear. Histeer sure, but not behind the diff. thoughts?

j

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there are a few folks around here who run it behind the axle, in hind sight I kind of wish I had gone that route, but at the sametime I think my ORD arms are about as high quality as you can get right now on the market. If there were as high a quality behind the axle setup I think I might have gone with it. In fact someone on here has those arms and posted a picture just the other day.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have those exact arms. I just got them. I am hoping to have them on here in the next week or so, then have a few more things to button up before she is road ready. I will get some pics and post them up when it is all done.

4. jekbrown

wow cool, I'd love to see some installed-pics poo. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif you have springs up front? if so, how many leaves / how much lift?

j

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Moneypit (Toby) has the behind the axle high steer on his White K5. I saw it right after it was installed. It looked pretty wicked.

Harley

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I am going to be running the setup w/ 5 leaf 52's up front (4 plus overload) and a zero rate, and some SWEET custom machined shackles. Frontend is pushed forward 3", not sure what the lift will work out to yet. Hopefully around 6". I think I have to relocate the shocks, and will probaby have a bitch of a time mounting a hydro ram, but it should be pretty sweet.

7. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I currently run High steer on my 60 with 4" Procomp leaves. I am planning on installing some 52's up front and with that setup i would be able to run these arms anymore. I am haveing a buddy of mine build me some arms very similar to that so I can run the tie rod behind the axle. I too will have a bitch of a time mounting my ram but it should be a sweet set up when it's all done. Glad to see that others are doing this too. That way we can all experiment together. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. jekbrown

lol, i was looking at my front axle today after I got done re-mounting my driver's seat and that was the 1st thing that popped into my head.. "what about the hydro ram?".

Hi-steer is one thing... that sorta puts the tie rod in just the right place so that a ram mounting point can be attached to a beefy diff cover. Behind the axle is a whole new ballgame... as the rear side of the diff isn't of much use, and the tie rod is much further from the axle tubes as well. Not sure what kind of bracket you'd have to have but it seems like it'd have to be pretty ungainly and large. Hmmmmm...

j

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Tim at 4x4 Iron did Toby's behind the axle high steer on his 60. I don't know if he had a hydro ram or not though. Seems to me Toby probably would have so you might contact Tim. He may have done it.

Harley