Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

putting the univ. joints on the rear driveshaft?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sanssocs2, Sep 3, 2001.

1. sanssocs2

sanssocs2 Registered Member

i bused both univ joints on my 85 K5,np208,10 bolts. i am putting the new univ. joints on the rear d shaft tomm and i am wonering if anyone has any ideas how do get it on the rear wont be to hard but the putting it on the joke will be hard.. what tools do i need and how am i going to put the univ. joint on thedshaft and the yoke? and should i put the yoke back in the trannie before i start? please help

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I can remember which is first but you dont need to put the yoke back in the T-case first...[​IMG]
    Just use a hammer adn some sockets ..One that is over sized and one that is undersized (size meaning larger and samller than the u-joint cap) then use the socket thats over sized adn lay the driveshaft on it then on the top side use the socket thats undersized adn take the hammer knock down on the u-joint until it pops loose and falls down in to the large socket. Then you'll have to do this with the yoke assemble too.
    Make sure you take the retainer clips off first.
    Also if you have a large table vise you can do the same thing with the sockets insted of the hammer. But you'd need a 6" table vise or larger. I have a 5" inch one and its just too small.

tRustyk5 for President!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>